The University of Southern Queensland Council is the University’s governing body. The Council, led by the Chancellor, sets the strategic direction of the University and is empowered under the University of Southern Queensland Act 1998 to do anything necessary or convenient in connection with its functions including specifically:
- Appointment of staff
- Management and control of the University’s affairs and property
- Management and control of the University’s finances.
The Council's primary responsibilities are set out in its Charter.
Council may delegate its responsibilities to an appropriately qualified member of the University’s staff, a member of University Council, or to a qualified Committee. The power to make statutes or rules, or to approve the University’s budget may not be delegated. In addition, there are restrictions on Council’s ability to delegate approval of spending of special funding through bequests or donations.
Statutes, Policies and Guidelines – Council and Committees
The membership of the USQ Council includes:
- Chancellor (ex officio)
- Vice-Chancellor, (ex officio)
- Chair, Academic Board, (ex officio)
- five members appointed by the Governor-in-Council
- up to three additional members appointed by the Council, at least one of whom must be a graduate of the University
- one member of the academic staff of the University elected by and from members of the academic staff
- one member of the professional staff of the University elected by and from members of the professional staff
- one student member elected by and from the enrolled students of the University, other than students who are members of the University staff.
Committees of USQ Council
USQ Council is assisted in its operations by the following standing committees:
USQ Council meets every 8 weeks at specific dates and times as outlined in the University meeting schedule.
2014 meeting schedule *
Glossary of Terms *
For additional information on USQ Council and its Committees please contact the Acting University Secretary, or Executive Officer (Council)
*This file is in Portable Document Format (PDF) which requires the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader. A free copy of Acrobat Reader may be obtained from Adobe. Users who are unable to access information in PDF should contact the Governance Office to obtain this information in an alternative format.