Strategic Thinking and Organisational Leadership
Strategic Thinking Research Syndicate
The Strategic Thinking Research syndicate contributes to significant collaborative research in the area of Human Sustainability. The core members are Prof Ronel Erwee, Dr Rene Malan and Dr Luke van der Laan. The syndicate has researched strategic thinking and strategy making in regional private hospitals, Regional Councils and private and public sector organisations among strategy groups and strategic leaders. We are researching companies moving from a Phase 4 Efficiency to Phase 5 Strategic proactivity.
What we offer
The Strategic Thinking Research syndicate has a number of tools that can be used in organisations to analyse the competencies of strategic leaders and strategy groups such as:
The Strategic Thinking Research Syndicate also holds workshops with strategic leaders or strategy groups to assess their competencies.
Van der Laan, Malan and Gurney successfully graduated with PhDs in 2010.
Prof Erwee and Associate Prof Anne Jasman were part of a consortium of universities (Swinburne, VU, USQ, CQU and ECU) who received $219,000 funding for their project entitled 'Developing a toolkit and framework to support new postgraduate research supervisors in emerging research areas’. The Innovation and Development Grants Program is the ALTC’s major grants program, and as such is highly competitive.
The research project on “Strategic thinking capabilities in regional universities” is progressing with Dr Luke van der Laan completing interviews in CQU, USC and James Cook universities.
Recent conference papers of the STRG are as follows:
- Van der Laan L & Erwee R (2010) “Foresight Styles of strategy level leaders”. Proceedings of 24th ANZAM conference, Adelaide, 8-10 December.
- Erwee R, Albion P & Van der Laan L (2011) “Connectedness needs of doctoral students”, Education 2011-2021: Global challenges and perspectives of blended and distance learning Summit, Sydney, February 2011.
- Erwee, R, Albion, P, van Rensburg, H & Malan R (2011) “Dealing with doctoral students: tips from the trenches”. Postgraduate Supervision: Research and Practice conference, Center for Higher and Adult Education, University of Stellenbosch, 19 April.
- Malan, R., Van Rensburg, H , Erwee R & Danaher P (2011) “Dancing to different tunes: the challenge of cultural diversity in doctoral candidate- supervisor relationships”. Postgraduate Supervision: Research and Practice conference, Center for Higher and Adult Education , University of Stellenbosch, 20 April.
- Van Rensburg, H , Danaher P, Malan R & Erwee R (2011) “Agency and Identity in the Doctoral Student–Supervisor Relationship: University Academics’ Recollections from Three Countries”, Postgraduate Supervision: Research and Practice conference, Center for Higher and Adult Education, University of Stellenbosch, 19 April.
- Erwee, R. & Albion, P. (2011). “New communication media: challenges for external doctoral students and supervisors” , Presented SITE/ AACE conference in Nashville, March 2011.
- Albion, P. & Erwee R. (2011) “ Preparing for doctoral education at a distance: Lessons from experience”, Presented SITE/ AACE conference in Nashville, March 2011
Our research team
Download/view our Strategic Thinking and Organisational Leadership capability statement (PDF* 353 KB).
*This file is in Portable Document Format (PDF) which requires the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader. A free copy of Acrobat Reader may be obtained from Adobe. Users who are unable to access information in PDF should contact us to obtain this information in an alternative format.