Centre of Excellence in Engineered Fibre Composites
Centre of Excellence in Engineered Fibre Composites (CEEFC), formerly known as Fibre Composites Design and Development (FCDD), is one of the key research centres in Australia, to focus on research and development of fibre (from macro scale down to nano-scale) reinforced polymer/cement composite materials for different engineering applications. The Centre provides services to the industry through collaborative research, consultancy activities, knowledge sharing platforms and industrial-engaged research degree programs.
A brief history of the major development stages of fibre composite research and its centre at the University of Southern Queensland (USQ) can be enlisted as follows:
• 1995 - Establishment of the Centre as FCDD
• 2002 - Establishment and reformation of the Centre as CEEFC with the support by the Queensland Government
• 2006 - Official opening of CEEFC by the Queensland Government
• 2010 - Construction and opening of CEEFC Structural Testing Facilities by the Queensland Government
• 2011 - Formation of an International Advisory Board (IAB) of CEEFC.
Since the establishment of CEEFC in 2002, several large-scale projects with the industry and Queensland Government have been conducted. These projects include:
• Australia's first fibre composite bridge developed at Toowoomba, in collaboration with industry partners
• innovation of fibre composite walers for use in marinas and floating walkways
• development of fibre composite railway sleepers and trusses (with Queensland Railway Department)
• structural health monitoring systems for composite structures
• sustainable geopolymer for replacement of traditional cement
• natural fibre (plant/animal based) reinforced biodegradable polymer composites.
Through its multi-disciplinary staff with combined expertise in civil, structural, mechanical, materials and polymers CEEFC provides the following services:
• engineered solutions for the industry through its research and development collaborations
• research training at postdoctoral, postgraduate and undergraduate levels including student and staff exchange programs
• professional training and education in the form of online postgraduate courses, short courses, workshops and seminars
• consultancy and testing services in the areas of structures, materials, composites and computational modelling and analysis.