How to Enter
Who can enter?
The awards are open to USQ female staff and students as well as women and girls in Engineering and Surveying, Science (including
Mathematics) and Technology (SET) located in regional, rural and remote areas of Queensland.
An individual or team can enter.
If an individual is part of a larger team working on a project, the nominee's specific contribution to that team must be clearly outlined.
You can nominate yourself or someone you know if the person or team nominated is:
• female (for a team entry, all nominated members of the team must be female, but they can be working in a team that includes males)
• a female USQ student or member of staff
• a female (women or girls) involved in Engineering, Science and Technology (SET)
• a female located in regional, rural and remote areas of Queensland
• an Australian citizen or has been granted Australian permanent residence.
Previous winners can be nominated for new projects, substantial new directions or for breakthroughs within a project that has previously been awarded.
Do you have permission?
If you are nominating on behalf of another person, please ensure you have the nominee's permission before you nominate them.
What can you enter?
Individual and team nominees are permitted to enter only one category. Please ensure you address the selection criteria for the specific category you are entering.
Complete and submit nomination form
To enter the awards, you must complete a nomination form. A separate nomination form must be completed for each girl/woman nominated unless the girl/woman is a member of a team nomination (in which case only one nomination form is required).
Individual and team nominees are permitted to enter only one category.
You must complete all sections of the nomination form to ensure your entry will be accepted.
Nominations may be submitted by post, or by email attachment (accepted file types - DOC, DOCX, PDF, RTF, TXT, ODT). Submit one signed copy of the nomination form along with one copy of supporting documentation only. Please also print and/or save an electronic copy for your own records. No supporting documentation can be returned to a nominee.
Your nomination form and supporting documentation must be received (or postmarked) by 5:00pm on Friday 5 October 2012 at:
Best of the WEST Awards
Go WEST Project
c/- Learning and Teaching Support Unit
Level 3, S Block
University of Southern Queensland
Toowoomba Qld 4350
Submit supporting documentation
All nominations must include the following documentation:
• A written overview of the nominee's work, focussing on at least one current (or recently completed) program or activity that meets the selection criteria for the relevant category - maximum of 2 pages
• Evidence supporting the claims made (such as copies of letters, certificates, awards, newspaper stories, articles, programs, etc) - maximum of 8 pages
• Two (2) recent and different digital photographs of the nominee/s that can be used for Go WEST publicity purposes (for example, the student(s) at work or study, or the woman or team working on the program or activity). High resolution images (over 2MB) should be provided on CD or emailed to email@example.com.
• One (1) letter of support from an individual or group familiar with the content of the nomination. Letter to be signed and dated and not exceed 1 page.
• A completed and signed nomination form
• One (1) complete copy of the nomination should be supplied.
• A hard copy nomination must not be bound or placed into a folder.
• Only one copy of each photograph is required.
• Applications will not be returned.
• Page limits are equivalent to single-sided A4 pages.
The Best of the WEST awards will recognise the achievements of USQ female staff and students as well as Queensland women and girls located in regional, rural and remote areas of Queensland for their work in Science (including Mathematics), Engineering and Surveying and Technology.
A panel of 3 University of Southern Queensland, industry and government representatives will consider the nominations. The judges will be looking for activities which have promoted or are promoting the role of women in SET and address the selection criteria. Only submitted material will be considered.
The judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.