What do I do if an employee I supervise/manage is injured or ill?
Firstly, it is important to recognise how important your role as a supervisor/manager is:
Immediate supervisors, managers and Category 4 Delegates have a critical role in ensuring the success of any workplace rehabilitation program and play a significant role during all stages of the workplace rehabilitation process.
As a supervisor or manager you must follow these procedures:
- Notify the Rehabilitation Coordinator of all work injuries and illnesses.
- Complete an online incident and hazard report through the UniHIRTS University Hazard and Incident Reporting and Tracking System or ensure the injured worker has completed one. For more information refer to USQ Policy Incident or Injury Reporting or contact the Rehabilitation Coordinator.
- Forward any Workcover paper work to USQSafe for processing. Copies of Worker's Compensation Claims may not be held by individual departments. All copies are held in confidential files in Human Resources. The Employer's Report is to be signed by the Manager, USQSafe.
- Maintain contact with the injured or ill employee during their absence from work and encourage fellow employees to do likewise.
- Participate in the development of the employees' Rehabilitation and Suitable Duties Plans. This may include:
Identifying current and alternative duties.
Determining an appropriate rehabilitation plan.
Providing support in the implementation of the rehabilitation plan including liaising with all participants.
Monitoring job performance and progress, and
Advising fellow employees of the injured employee's capabilities and negotiate any workplace adjustments in advance of the return to work.
What if I am unclear about what I have to do?
If you are confused or unclear about what you have to do, please contact the Rehabilitation Coordinator who will be happy to provide you with any assistance you may need.