Reward, recognition and development programs
The University highly values and recognises the contribution that employees make to USQ's success and consequently has in place a range of programs and initiatives which reward employee effort. Reward and recognition initiatives available include:
USQ Employee Recognition Program
- An employee recognition program
to acknowledge individuals or groups of employees who achieve high standards of performance in the workplace, primarily through non-monetary rewards including public recognition, the presentation of personal gifts and small incentives
, or the giving of work related items.
Learning and development initiatives
Academic Development and Outside Studies Program
- A well established Academic Development and Outside Studies Program
program to provide a period of paid leave for academic employees to undertake research, scholarly activity or professional experience.
Professional Development Leave - Professional Employees
- An opportunity for professional employees to undertake a period of Professional Development Leave (PDL)
to enhance and develop their professional knowledge, skills and abilities outside the University.
- An annual academic promotion
process for academic employees on the basis of meritorious performance.
- A generous study assistance program
to provide financial assistance and encourage and support employees to undertake further education.
Certificate IV/Traineeship Scheme
- A traineeship scheme
for existing professional employees to obtain a Certificate IV (Business Administration or Frontline Management) qualification.
- Staff Development - A range of internal and external staff development opportunities to increase employee skills, broaden experience and enhance future career opportunities.
Management and Leadership Development
- A comprehensive program aimed at aimed at building capacity for managers and leaders
in the areas of people management, personal leadership, strategic management and business sustainability.
Academic Professional Development
- A suite of opportunities to enhance learning and teaching
performance and provide high quality, flexible and inclusive learning experiences that promote lifelong learning, critical enquiry and students' career opportunities.
On-the-job career development opportunities
- The opportunity for employees to act in higher classified positions
as a mechanism to reward exceptional work performance by an employee and/or to provide an opportunity to acquire advanced knowledge, skills and abilities.
Internal Transfers and Secondments
- The opportunity for employees to be transferred or seconded
to a position in order to recognise and reward exceptional work performance and/or provide an opportunity to acquire expanded knowledge, skills and abilities.
Linked Classification Program
- The linked classification program
for professional employees has been developed to promote increased flexibility within the USQ position classification standards, meet the needs of the individual work areas and offer employees the opportunity for further career development and salary progression.
Employee Exchange Program
- The availability of a scheme which provides for exchange
between University employees and employees of other appropriate organisations as a reward for exceptional performance and/or an opportunity to acquire expanded knowledge, skills and abilities.
Formal grants and awards
- Professional Employee Awards for Excellence - Annual university awards for excellence which recognise professional employees' contributions to the University in a range of categories.
- Vice-Chancellor's Awards for Community Engagement and Service - The University has established the awards for community engagement and service to recognise and encourage exceptional community service by all employees of the University.
- Learning and Teaching Awards, Grants and Fellowships - A suite of aligned opportunities that aim to build capacity in staff and support their leadership development through teaching excellence, including the USQ Teaching Academy.
- Equal Opportunity for Women Achievement Awards - Each year the Vice-Chancellor presents achievement awards to recognise the contributions of individuals and groups who have sponsored or developed initiatives supportive of a university culture that values the contributions of women.
- External Awards for Excellence - Numerous excellence awards provided by external bodies. The achievements of employees who receive such external awards are recognised across the wider University community through various communication channels and publications such as USQNews.
The University congratulates and recognises the 2011 recipients of awards for excellence and long service.
Accelerated Increment - Accelerated increments
where an employee's performance consistently and significantly exceeds agreed performance indicators.
- An additional increment
for employees at the top step of their current classification level where their performance consistently and significantly exceeds agreed performance indicators.
- In addition, USQ offers a range of benefits for employees as part of building a fulfilling career at the University.