Reward, recognition and development programs
Recognition at USQ is simply what you do regularly to let other employees know when you notice and appreciate their work. Recognition includes saying thank you when you notice an employee’s contribution or effort; writing a note to express appreciation; mentioning their contribution in daily tasks; and sending an email to team members or supervisors praising completion of a project. Informal recognition can come from anyone in the organisation - from co-workers, managers, subordinates, clients and should be should be timely, specific, and sincere.
Informal recognition (employee recognition program)
STARS (Say Thanks and Recognise Success) is the corporate employee recognition program at USQ.
Formal recognition (achievement awards)
Formal recognition is a set of established programs or practices that an organisation adopts to foster recognition. Formal recognition has:
- a clear purpose
- established criteria for award eligibility
- a specified selection process
- program components that are well communicated
Formal recognition typically involves a planned event or presentation where employees are recognized for their achievements. Some of the examples of formal recognition at USQ are:
- Employee Achievement Awards, encompassing:
- Professional Employee Achievement Awards: Annual university awards for excellence which recognise professional employees' contributions to the University in a range of categories.
- Community Engagement and Service Achievement Awards: The University has established the awards for community engagement and service to recognise and encourage exceptional community service by all employees of the University.
- Learning and Teaching Achievement Awards: A suite of grants and awards that aim to build capacity in staff and support their leadership development through teaching excellence
- Research and Postgraduate Research Supervision Awards: Awards for employees who are early career researchers/scholars or have extensive research careers and who have demonstrated excellence in research, scholarship or postgraduate research supervision.
- Equity and Diversity Achievement Awards: Each year the University presents achievement awards to recognise the contributions of individuals and groups who have sponsored or developed initiatives supportive of a university culture that values equity and diversity.
- External Awards for Excellence: Numerous excellence awards are provided by external bodies. The achievements of employees who receive such external awards are recognised across the wider University community through various communication channels and publications such as USQNews.
- Long Service Awards: Awards provided to employees in recognition of long service at USQ.
Performance rewards are designed to reward high levels of performance and include the following:
- Accelerated Increment- Accelerated increments where an employee's performance consistently and significantly exceeds agreed performance indicators.
- Additional Increment - An additional increment for employees at the top step of their current classification level where their performance consistently and significantly exceeds agreed performance indicators.
- Attraction and Retention Loadings - Attraction and retention loadings which may be offered to attract, recognise and retain valuable employees in the workplace.
Learning and development initiatives
- Academic Development and Outside Studies Program - A well established Academic Development and Outside Studies Program to provide a period of paid leave for academic employees to undertake research, scholarly activity or professional experience.
- Professional Development Leave - Professional Employees - An opportunity for professional employees to undertake a period of Professional Development Leave (PDL) to enhance and develop their professional knowledge, skills and abilities outside the University.
- Academic Promotion - An annual academic promotion process for academic employees on the basis of meritorious performance.
- Study Assistance - A generous study assistance program to provide financial assistance and encourage and support employees to undertake further education.
- Certificate IV/Traineeship Scheme - A traineeship scheme for existing professional employees to obtain a Certificate IV (Business Administration or Frontline Management) qualification.
- Staff Development - A range of internal and external staff development opportunities to increase employee skills, broaden experience and enhance future career opportunities.
- Management and Leadership Development - A comprehensive program aimed at aimed at building capacity for managers and leaders in the areas of people management, personal leadership, strategic management and business sustainability.
- Academic Professional Development - A suite of opportunities to enhance learning and teaching performance and provide high quality, flexible and inclusive learning experiences that promote lifelong learning, critical enquiry and students' career opportunities.
On-the-job career development opportunities
- Acting Appointments - The opportunity for employees to act in higher classified positions as a mechanism to reward exceptional work performance by an employee and/or to provide an opportunity to acquire advanced knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Internal Transfers and Secondments - The opportunity for employees to be transferred or seconded to a position in order to recognise and reward exceptional work performance and/or provide an opportunity to acquire expanded knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Linked Classification Program - The linked classification program for professional employees has been developed to promote increased flexibility within the USQ position classification standards, meet the needs of the individual work areas and offer employees the opportunity for further career development and salary progression.
- Employee Exchange Program - The availability of a scheme which provides for exchange between University employees and employees of other appropriate organisations as a reward for exceptional performance and/or an opportunity to acquire expanded knowledge, skills and abilities.
In addition to all of the above, USQ offers a range of benefits for employees as part of building a fulfilling career at the University.