Academic Development and Outside Studies Program
The Academic Development and Outside Studies Program (ADOSP) provides a period of paid absence for sustained research, scholarly activity or professional experience for employees. As an additional benefit it may also help employees to establish or renew links with colleagues in appropriate fields outside the University for the purpose of enhancing their own research within the University.
2014 Academic Development and Outside Studies Program Policy and Procedure change
In order to streamline and clarify the procedures around applying for a period of ADOSP and to align the process to the revised University organisational structure, the Academic Development and Outside Studies Policy and Procedure and Application Form have been reviewed and updated.
Employees considering applying for a period of ADOSP must familiarise themselves with the revised policy and procedure and amended application form. In addition, when completing the Application Form, employees must refer to the newly developed Guide for Applicants and Supervisors.
A summary of changes is outlined below:
Revised ADOSP Form and New Guide for Applicants and Supervisors
- REVISED: Application Form
- Sections 4 - 13 of the form have been amended
- The changes have been made to enable additional details and information to be provided by the applicant to the assessment committees. Changes have also been made to reflect changes in Committee approval processes.
- Applicants applying under the 'PhD (or Doctorate) Completion Category' of ADOSP should note that significant changes have been made to the form. Additional details regarding this category are required, and it is an expectation that applicants address all criteria.
- NEW: ADOSP Guide for Applicants and Supervisors "Preparing and submitting the application"
- A guide for applicants and supervisors has been developed to assist with the preparation of the ADOSP application form. The Guide details applicants and supervisors responsibilities throughout the application preparation process. Please note, this document must be read in conjunction with the ADOSP Policy and Procedure, and referred to when completing the Application Form.
Key Policy and Procedure Changes
- ADOSP Application Approval Pathway:
- Once an application has been considered by the applicant's direct supervisor (eg in a Faculty, this is the Head of School), the application will be forwarded directly to Human Resources. Once Human Resources has confirmed eligibility checking, applications will be forwarded to the relevant Divisional Head (eg SDVC or relevant DVC), for convening of the Divisional ADOSP Assessment Committee.
- The Divisional ADOSP Committee will assess applications against the relevant criteria and will provide an approval outcome.
- Following the completion of the Divisional ADOSP Assessment Committee process, the University ADOSP Moderation Committee will meet to moderate the decisions from all Divisional assessment processes across the University.
- Once the University ADOSP Moderation Committee has met, applicants will be notified of the outcome in writing by Human Resources.
- Variation to ADOSP Application Approval:
- Minor variations which do not have a direct or indirect (ie salary) financial impact must be reported to the direct supervisor for approval, with a copy to Human Resources.
- Major variations with a direct or indirect (ie salary) financial impact by be reported to the Divisional Head for approval, with a copy to Human Resources
- Report on Return to Service Approval:
- Approval or otherwise of acceptable reports will be made via recommendation by the Supervisor to the Divisional Head.
Important ADOSP Documentation
Academic employees considering applying for a period of ADOSP should familiarise themselves with the following:
Important information for Semester One, Two and Three applications to be taken in 2015
Due to the policy and procedure revisions and the subsequent impact on the date for the call for applications, all applications to undertake ADOSP in any semester in 2015 will be assessed in the one round. Following this process, the normal call schedule will resume (ie Semester One 2016 applications will be assessed in Semester One 2015)
Important ADOSP Timeframes
|Semester One, Two and Three 2015
|Call for applications
||15 July 2014
|ADOSP Application Form completed by Applicant and forwarded to Supervisor
||15 August 2014
|Completed by Supervisor and forwarded to Human Resources
||22 August 2014
|Human Resources checks and forwards to Divisional Head and Committee
||5 September 2014
|Divisional Committee meetings held
||19 September 2014
|Divisional Heads forward outcomes to Human Resources
||26 September 2014
|University ADOSP Moderation Committee held
||10 October 2014
|Written advice from HR to applicants
||31 October 2014
All questions relating to the Academic Development and Outside Studies Program Policy or process should be directed to Ms Angela Ryan, Senior HR Officer (Organisational Development).