Workforce management arrangements
Interim HR Operational Arrangements were introduced in November 2010 as there was an immediate need to review recruitment activity and fixed term appointments. These interim arrangements were for an initial twelve month period and have remained in place since that time.
In seeking to provide more flexibility regarding recruitment arrangements, ensure USQ’s ongoing sustainability and comply with our industrial requirements, VCC (at its meeting on 17 October 2012) approved the following revised arrangements.
Positions endorsed by the Category 2 Delegate to be approved by VCC:
- Recruitment activity for newly established continuing and fixed term positions or senior positions (eg Academic Level D, Academic Level E, and Senior Executive positions)
- Establishment of new positions for the purpose of converting fixed term appointments to continuing
- Recruitment activity for existing senior positions (eg Academic Level D, Academic Level E, and Senior Executive positions)
Positions to be approved by the Category 2 Delegate:
- Recruitment activity for existing positions except for senior positions (eg Academic Level D, Academic Level E, and Senior Executive positions)
Positions to be approved by the Category 3 Delegate:
- Recruitment activity for fixed term appointments (six months or less)
It is important for us all to work together to strengthen and build the University's capabilities. As such your full cooperation in implementing these workforce management changes is appreciated.
This new process is to take immediate effect. All documentation is to be submitted to Janelle Martin no later than 5pm Monday of the week that VCC is scheduled.
Internal and external recruitment
Recruitment for existing budgeted positions
- The Category 3 Delegate must obtain written confirmation from the relevant Management Accountant to ensure funding is available from the staffing budget for the appointment. This is then forwarded with a Request to Advertise form, a completed Business Case to Recruit a Position form, a Position Description and a copy of the advertisement to the relevant Category 2 Delegate or above (eg VC, SDVC, DVC, or COO) for consideration. Approvals are to be within Human Resources requirements.
- Upon approval, this is then to be lodged via email to Janelle Martin.
Recruitment for new proposed positions
- The Category 3 Delegate must obtain written confirmation from the relevant Management Accountant to ensure funding is available from the staffing budget for the appointment. This is then forwarded with a Request to Advertise form and a completed Business Case to Recruit a Position form, a Position Description and a copy of the advertisement to the relevant Category 2 delegate or above (eg VC, SDVC, DVC or COO) and a copy forwarded via email to Janelle Martin.
- The relevant Category 2 Delegate will provide information at the next VCC for consideration and approval.
When a position becomes vacant it is expected that there will be a minimum two month interim period between when the position is vacated and a new appointee commences in the position.
Human Resources will liaise with managers on a case by case basis to assist with managing the recruitment timeframes
Fixed term appointments
- The Category 3 Delegate or above must obtain written confirmation from the relevant Management Accountant to ensure funding is available from the staffing budget for the appointment. Requests are then to be forwarded via email to Janelle Martin in HR prior to any appointment documentation being prepared or any offers of employment being made to current or prospective employees.
- The USQ Enterprise Agreement 2010-2013 incorporates a number of conditions associated with limitations on the circumstances in which fixed term contracts may be offered to employees. A Specific Task or Project appointment is defined as work activity with a start date and which is expected to be completed within an anticipated timeframe. As such, reappointments (rollovers) to the category of Specific Task or Project will not normally be approved.
- Approval is given if these conditions are met.
- Academic fixed term appointments for S1 and S2 are to be of no more than 18 weeks duration and are to be either teaching specialisation appointments or research only appointments.
- Appointments for research related positions will be reviewed on a case by case basis and will be informed by research project funding arrangements.
- All leave accrued is to be taken during the term of the appointment and submitted online through ESS.
Given that one of the purposes of the workforce management strategy is to strengthen the University’s position through appropriate management of staffing, it is inappropriate for cost centres to replace fixed term positions with casual employees. Therefore, additional monitoring of casual employments will be undertaken. A casual employee is appointed to work an irregular pattern of hours on an intermittent or ad hoc basis.
The preparation of casual appointment documentation will remain the responsibility of Human Resources Payroll and Systems staff.
Please contact your HR Client Services team for assistance relating to these procedures and processes.