Workforce management arrangements
Workforce management arrangements have been introduced in order to assist Category 2 Delegates to monitor and maintain their allocated Divisional FTE levels.
In seeking to provide more flexibility regarding these arrangements, VCC approval is no longer required for recruitment activity, however it is important for us all to work together to strengthen and build the University's capabilities. As such your full cooperation in assisting in achieving workforce management goals is appreciated.
Internal and external recruitment
Recruitment time frames
When a position becomes vacant it is expected that there will be a minimum two month interim period between when the position is vacated and a new appointee commences in the position.
Human Resources will liaise with managers on a case by case basis to assist with managing the recruitment time frames.
Recruiting for all existing or new budgeted positions
- Category 3 Delegate must obtain written confirmation from the relevant Management Accountant to ensure funding is available from the staffing budget for the appointment
- Forward the following documents to the relevant Category 2 Delegate or above (eg Vice-Chancellor, Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor, or Deputy Vice-Chancellor) for consideration:
- The above documents (including relevant approval) are then to be emailed to your HR Client Services team.
- Approvals are to be within Human Resources requirements
Fixed term appointments
- Category 3 Delegate or above must obtain written confirmation from the relevant Management Accountant to ensure funding is available from the staffing budget for the appointment
- Forward the following documents vie email to your HR Client Services team:
- The HR Client Services team will then generate appointment documentation and make the offer of appointment. No offer of appointment (verbal or written) is to be made other than by Human Resources.
- Additional conditions:
- The USQ Enterprise Agreement 2010-2013 incorporates a number of conditions associated with limitations on the circumstances in which fixed term contracts may be offered to employees. A Specific Task or Project appointment is defined as work activity with a start date and which is expected to be completed within an anticipated time frame. As such, reappointment (rollover) to the category of Specific Task or Project will not normally be approved.
- Approval is given if these conditions are met
- Academic fixed term appointments for S1 and S2 are to be of no more than 18 weeks duration and are to be either teaching specialisation appointments or research only appointments.
- Appointments for research related positions will be reviewed on a case by case basis and will be informed by research project funding arrangements.
- All leave accrued is to be taken during the term of the appointment and submitted online through Employee Self Service
Given that one of the purposes of the workforce management strategy is to strengthen the University's position through appropriate management of staffing, it is inappropriate for cost centres to replace fixed term positions with casual employees. Therefore, additional monitoring of casual employments will be undertaken. A casual employee is appointed to work an irregular pattern of hours on an intermittent or ad hoc basis.
The preparation of casual appointment documentation will remain the responsibility of Payroll and Systems staff.
Please contact your HR Client Services team for assistance relating to these procedures and processes.