Planning for Assignments
Planning is essential. You must ensure that you:
- know the submission date and allow plenty of time even if you think you know the topic well
understand the assignment question which will typically comprise four crucial parts:
- a broad definition of the topic
- instructions about what is required (discuss, analyse, compare etc)
- a time or word limit
- the due date
- focus only on relevant research and reading materials, use reference materials provided and take lecturer's advice on how widely you should search for literature. Avoid reading too widely if time is limited
- don't procrastinate - JUST START! It will not be perfect on the first draft
- leave the draft for a few days then revise it and re-revise if necessary
- follow guidelines in terms of presentation
- make and keep a copy of the assignment
Communication Skills Handbook
The Communication Skills Handbook produced by the Faculty of Business and Law contains information on assignment and examination preparation hints, essay writing, report writing, referencing etc. This book is available from the USQ Bookshop. To search for this item, choose the Product Search and type Communication Skills Handbook in the Search Text field.
The Communication Skills Handbook is also available to borrow from the USQ Library.