We provide assistance, advice, support and information to all members of the University community and the local and international community.
Upcoming and ongoing activities
If you would like additional information contact the Multicultural Centre.
- Seminar: "Truth as Ghandhi Knew It" - You are invited to attend this upcoming seminar being delivered by Professor Sarva-Daman Singh, Director, Institute of Asian Studies, Brisbane. Scheduled to take place on Wednesday 22 May 2013 from 12:15pm to 1:30pm at the Toowoomba Campus, Council Chamber, S515, S-Block the Honorary Council of India, Mrs Archana Singh will be in attendance and introducing the topic.
- 2012 Multicultural Forum - The Toowooomba Multicultural Forum took place on Wednesday 28 November 2012, venue: The Empire Church Theatre, 54 - 56 Neil Street, Toowoomba.
- Seniors on the Move: Exploring Creative Options.
- USQ Harmony Day was held on Wednesday 21 March 2013 at the USQ Toowoomba campus quadrangle from 12:00noon to 2:00pm with International Food Stalls operating from 10:30am. Harmony Day reaffirms our shared value as a community and celebrates Australia's advancements as a multicultural society with international food stalls, cultural music, singing and dancing and more.
- 'Enhancing equitable education pathways for Non-English Speaking Background (NESB) students'. The purpose of this project is to improve access and participation to the USQ for NESB people as recognised disadvantage group;
- "Current Relations Between Australia and the Philippines", delivered by Mr Alan Grummitt, Consul General ad honorem of the Philippine Consulate on Thursday, 16 August 2012.
- Seminar, "The Tradition of Non-Violence in Indian Civilisation", delivered by Professor Sarva-Daman Singh, former Honorary Consul of India on Wednesday, 4 July 2012.
- "The Germans in Queensland - the past and future", delivered by Mr Detlef Sulzer, Honorary Consul for the Republic of Germany on Tuesday, 26 June 2012.
- Research seminars by visiting scholar Dr hab. Jan Lencznarowicz, Associate Professor of the Jagiellonian University, Kraków, Poland:
- “Political myths and social cohesion in an emigrant community: the case of the Polish Post War II emigration in the West” seminar took place at the University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba Campus on Tuesday, 14 February 2012 from 12:30 to 1:45PM; Lecture Theatre Q501;
- “Immigration, politics , ideology and reality: A historical perspective on the Polish Diaspora” seminar took place at the University of Queensland, St Lucia Campus, on Wednesday, 15 February 2012 from 12:30 – 2:00pm, lecture theatre, room E302, Forgan Smith Building.
University tops national Multicultural Marketing Awards
USQ has again been recognised for its commitment to multiculturalism when it was a High Commendation as a finalist in the Government Category of the 2009 National Multicultural Marketing Awards.
Register of languages
The USQ Register of Languages provides voluntary interpreting and translation services to USQ and the community.
We address contemporary issues relating to culture, language, racial discrimination and religion:
- USQ Celebrates Internationalisation and Multiculturalism Program
- International Seminar on the Social Teaching of John Paul II
- Community Interfaith Dialogue Workshop delivered as a jointly organised program between the Pure Land Learning College, Toowoomba Regional Council and the USQ Multifaith Centre. Some workshop objectives included: enhancing awareness of the different faith traditions in the community; develop deeper trust among people of various faith traditions in the community; enable a better awareness of the potential in a religiously and culturally diverse community.
- Facilitating Interfaith Dialogue Workshop, another program jointly organised by the Pure Land Learning College, Toowoomba Regional Council and the USQ Multifaith Centre. A continuation of the previous interfaith dialogue workshop with the aim being to explore the values and attitudes optimal to meaningful interfaith dialogue.
Australia's Architect of Multiculturalism
Emeritus Professor Jerzy Zubrzycki AO CBE (1920 - 2009) has been referred to on numerous occasions as the "father of multiculturalism". He has been one of the greatest supporters of the University's Multicultural Centre.