Australian Postgraduate Award
The University of Southern Queensland (USQ) is offering a number of Australian Postgraduate Awards (APA) for students studying the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in 2016.
USQ’s strategic research effort is focused in the following areas, although applications in other areas of research are welcome:
- Biomedical sciences
- Climate risk and resource management
- Community health and wellbeing
- Sustainable business and enterprise
- Community, culture and transformation
- Landscape past, present and future
- Enabling infrastructure and technology
- Crop biotechnology
- Digital futures
- Farming systems and irrigation management
- Medical biotechnology
- Regional business
- Computational mathematics
As part of USQ’s Action Plan a scheme exists to promote entry into the PhD by Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders.
The information on this page is subject to change.
Australian Postgraduate Awards carry a stipend of $26,288 (2016 rate) per annum. USQ will supplement this payment to a total per annum amount of $30,000. Payments are made on a fortnightly basis over the year. APA recipients will also be allocated a place funded by the Research Training Scheme (RTS), which will cover tuition fees.
The maximum period of tenure of an award is three years. Periods of study already undertaken towards the degree will be deducted from the period of tenure.
To be eligible applicants must:
- have completed a Bachelor Degree with First Class Honours, or equivalent level;
- be eligible to be enrolled full-time in a PhD program at USQ. Note: some research topics may only be offered on-campus. Students should discuss their mode of attendance with their proposed supervisors;
- be an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or New Zealand citizen;
- not have previously held a Government-funding postgraduate research scholarship (unless terminated within six months of commencement);
- not hold a Research Doctorate or an equivalent research qualification;
- commence the degree by the date set by the University, normally within 12 months of being offered a scholarship.
- Applications including all supporting documentation must be received by the closing date.
- The successful student is permitted to undertake paid work but this must not interfere with the student's study.
- Scholarships are not transferable to other students in any circumstances.
- The scholarship will be forfeited if the recipient cancels enrolment in the program or fails to enrol at the USQ.
- must have a bachelor degree with First Class Honours or equivalent, and meet the entry requirements for the PhD;
- must demonstrate outstanding research potential;
- will be assessed on the basis of academic merit, research publications and presentations, research experience, the record of the proposed supervisory team, the quality of the research proposal, and alignment with the University's research priorities.
How to apply
To apply for this scholarship, applicants must scan and forward as one PDF attachment the following documentation by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Note: all applications received at this account will be acknowledged by return email within 2 working days.
- Australian Postgraduate Award Scholarship Application form ;
- curriculum vitae;
- education qualifications (testamur and academic transcripts for all undergraduate and postgraduate awards);
- a detailed research proposal outline . Note: for the assessment of your scholarship application this form does not require the signature of the supervisors;
- a two page summary of your research interests and experiences;
- documentation confirming citizenship;
- a list of any research publications.
The Office of Research Graduate Studies (ORGS) also recommends that applicants commence the enrolment process. For enrolment instructions, please refer to how to apply. Priorities may be given to those applicants who have already been accepted into the PhD program.
To ensure your scholarship application is assessed, scanned copies of the above documentation must be forwarded as one PDF attachment to the ORGS, email@example.com. No other email address is to be used for the submission of research scholarships.
Further information about this scholarship can be obtained from the ORGS at firstname.lastname@example.org.