Heritage Bank Don Stevens Scholarship in Commerce
In 2017, USQ will offer one Heritage Bank Don Stevens Scholarship in Commerce.
Don Stevens was General Manager at the Darling Downs Building Society before the merger with Toowoomba Permanent Building Society that created Heritage in 1981. After the merger, he served as Secretary and General Manager at Heritage in its early days. Mr Stevens was the Chancellor at USQ for 10 years (1996–2006). The scholarship honours the significant influence Mr Stevens had in senior management at both Heritage and USQ.
Heritage’s scholarship program at USQ continues a long association between the two organisations. It is one of many ways that Heritage supports the communities in which we operate. These scholarships enhance the opportunities for young people from the region to pursue academic excellence without having to move elsewhere. Scholarships are offered in four areas – Human Resources, Commerce, Information Technology and Marketing – reflecting key skills areas that Heritage is interested in developing. Heritage scholarships not only give financial assistance to students, but also offer the chance to do work experience at Heritage. This provides both academic and real-world training for students, and enhances their life experience and their job-readiness. The scholarship program can identify potential future employees for Heritage however, in giving added incentives for students to choose USQ, Heritage is also supporting the prosperity of the community overall. USQ is a major contributor to the vitality and prosperity of the region. A vibrant USQ is good for the whole region, not only for the economic stimulus that the university provides, but in the contribution it makes to the skills and capacity of the region’s workforce. The scholarship partnership between Heritage and USQ delivers fantastic opportunities for students, as well as a continuing benefit to the entire region. It’s just another way that Heritage puts People first.
The scholarship will have a maximum value of $4 000.
In addition, the successful applicant may be offered professional work experience in the year of the award, as mutually arranged.
To be eligible applicants must:
- be an Australian Citizen or have permanent resident status
- continue their studies in a Bachelor degree in Business Accounting, Finance, Business Law or General Commerce in Semester 1, 2017
- have completed a minimum of 8 USQ courses
- be enrolled in a minimum of 3 study units in each of Semester 1 and Semester 2 of each year of study
- be studying on-campus, external or online.
- submit a personal statement (one page maximum) outlining:
- why they chose to study Commerce at USQ
- their interest in contributing to the business community
- have a current Grade Point Average of at least 5.5
- demonstrate a history of involvement within their school, extracurricular activities or within their local community.
How to apply
Complete the Scholarship Application Form Continuing USQ Students 2017 (PDF*153KB) and post the application and all supporting documents to:
Private and Confidential
University of Southern Queensland
Toowoomba QLD 4350
Applications will not be accepted via fax or email.Shortlisted applicants will be required to attend an interview and are asked to maintain up-to-date USQ Personal Details via U Connect.
Closing dateApplications must be received by 5.00pm Friday, 28 October 2016 for Semester 1, 2017.
University of Southern Queensland
Phone: 1800 269 500