Toowoomba Regional Council Scholarship
In 2017, USQ will offer one Toowoomba Regional Council Scholarship.
In addition to financial support offered, the TRC scholarship provides an excellent opportunity for an undergraduate engineer to gain hands-on experience whilst undertaking their studies.
The Toowoomba Regional Council area includes a population of over 162,000 across a dynamic region rich in resources and opportunities. Responsible for a 10,000 kilometre road network, significant drainage networks, water & transport infrastructure, council’s early career engineers play a vital role in an organisation which employs over 1700 dedicated staff and manages total assets exceeding $3 billion.
Council offers stable and expanding employment options for professionals and a structured and exciting program for undergraduate and graduate engineers.
The scholarship will have a maximum value of $20 000.
In addition, the successful applicant will be required to undertake 50 days paid work experience per year as an intern within Council's professional engineering team. This can be undertaken part-time during the university semester and/ or full-time during university holidays. As council employees, scholarship holders are eligible to apply for internally advertised positions, such as engineering cadetships or council’s Generator Program.
To be eligible applicants must:
- be an Australian Citizen or have permanent resident status
- have completed Year 12 in the last three years
- commence their studies in a Bachelor of Engineering (Civil or Environmental) in Semester 1, 2017
- be entering the first year of their degree
- be enrolled on-campus at USQ Toowoomba
- be enrolled in a minimum of 3 study units in each of Semester 1 and Semester 2 of each year of study
- be studying on-campus.
- submit a personal statement (one page maximum), outlining:
- what is it about civil or environmental engineering that interests you most
- what is it about local government engineering (compared with private practice) that attracts you to Toowoomba Regional Council
- how do you think the TRC Scholarship will assist you in achieving your future career goals over the next 5–6 years
- provide evidence of academic achievement, e.g. high school report card or post-secondary academic history, as applicable
- demonstrate a history of involvement within their school, extracurricular activities or within their local community.
How to apply
Complete the Scholarship Application Form Students Commencing at USQ 2017 (PDF*167KB) and post the application and all supporting documents to:
Private and Confidential
University of Southern Queensland
Toowoomba QLD 4350
Applicants completing their Year 12 studies in 2016 must also attach a Statement of Support (PDF*151) with their application.
Applications will not be accepted via fax or email.
Applicants will be required to attend an interview.
Closing dateApplications must be received by 5.00pm Friday, 28 October 2016 for Semester 1, 2017.
Organisational Development Support Officer
Toowoomba Regional Council
Phone: +61 7 4697 4228