Our programs and courses
The College for Indigenous Studies, Education and Research delivers a number of Indigenous courses and programs. These courses and programs focus on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures and have been designed by Indigenous staff, in consultation with the Indigenous community. The College's academic staff teach these programs to both Indigenous and non-Indigenous students.
USQ’s curriculum is inclusive of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander studies with a number of programs focusing on Indigenous knowledges and perspectives:
- Indigenous Higher Education Pathways Program- IHEPP is a bridging program designed to give Indigenous students the necessary skills to succeed in undergraduate programs offered by USQ.
- Diploma of University Studies (Indigenous Community Development)
- Diploma of Human Services and Development
- Bachelor of Arts – Indigenous Studies Major
The College for Indigenous Studies, Education and Research has also established a suite of Indigenous Studies courses. These courses are designed to provide you with an understanding of Australia's Indigenous peoples and their cultures.
The aim of these courses is to acquaint students with a variety of Indigenous concepts in traditional and contemporary situations. You will be introduced to a number of aspects of Indigenous culture, social structure and knowledge, beginning with basic concepts of identity progressing and moving to more complex concepts such as the intricacies of cultural intellectual property rights. The courses available include:
- ISE1000 Introduction to Aboriginal and Torres strait Island Australia
- ISE1001 First Nations Literature and Writings
- ISE1002 Comparative and Contemporary Indigenous Cultures
- ISE1003 Contexts of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Art and Representation
- ISE2000 Reconciliation from Policy to Practice
- ISE2001 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples: Race, Politics and Sport
- ISE2002 Human Rights and Ideologies of the Nation State
- ISE3000 Language, Culture, Country and Community
For more information about these courses, please contact CISER.
Scholarships and prizes
USQ offers a wide range of scholarships, so view our website to find the right scholarship for you. USQ offers scholarships to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students to support them in achieving their full academic potential.