For over a century, what is now USQ Ipswich, operated as the precinct of an institution catering for people with mental disabilities. The ‘Challinor Centre memorabilia’ exhibition shows a variety of artefacts used during the era.
This institution operated under various names—opening in 1878 as the Sandy Gallop Asylum, a branch of the Goodna Asylum; then operated as The Ipswich Hospital for the Insane from 1910, The Ipswich Mental Hospital from 1938, The Ipswich Special Hospital from 1963 and the Challinor Centre from 1968.
The facility closed in 1994 and the site Heritage listed in 1996 and the precinct was re-purposed for use as a university campus. The University of Queensland occupied the site from 1998-2014, with the University of Southern Queensland acquiring the precinct on 7 January 2015.
Location: Ground floor, Library, USQ Ipswich.