|Semester 3, 2022 Online|
|Faculty or Section :||Faculty of Health, Engineering and Sciences|
|School or Department :||School of Mathematics, Physics & Computing|
|Student contribution band :||Band 2|
|Grading basis :||Graded|
|Version produced :||17 May 2022|
Programming is relevant to both computing professionals and individuals who wish to be more than end-users. The topics in the course will allow students to learn programming in Python, but should also develop skills transferrable to other languages, paradigms and contexts. The course is appropriate for students wishing to have only a single exposure to programming, but is also sufficient for students intending to complete further programming instruction.
This course covers foundational programming knowledge (including language syntax and facilities) as well as strategies which allow programmers to apply such knowledge to solve programming problems. Students will learn to analyse and comprehend existing programs and create solutions to programming problems individually and in teams by generating programs which apply programming strategies covered in the course.
Course learning outcomes
On completion of this course students should be able to:
- Demonstrate understanding of the programming language knowledge by comprehending code in existing programs;
- Apply programming language knowledge to generate programs;
- Comprehend programming strategies, including working in teams, by analysing programs which demonstrate such strategies;
- Create solutions to programming problems, within a team, by generating programs which apply programming strategies;
- Demonstrate problem solving in the context of programming through designing, debugging, implementing and testing programs;
- Demonstrate academic and professional literacy by applying computer and mathematical skills to analyse algorithms and data structures.
|1.||Programming Process, Sequence, Ethics||10.00|
|2.||Values, Objects, Lists, Operations, Roles of variables||10.00|
|3.||Expressions, Using Functions, User I/O and Libraries||10.00|
|5.||Testing, Debugging, Programming Style||10.00|
|6.||Selection, Iteration, Recursion||20.00|
|7.||Programming Strategies and Problem Solving (Pseudocode, Teamwork Strategies)||10.00|