|Semester 3, 2022 Online|
|Faculty or Section :||Faculty of Business, Education, Law and Arts|
|School or Department :||School of Education|
|Student contribution band :||Band 1|
|Grading basis :||Graded|
|Version produced :||18 May 2022|
Enrolment is not permitted in EDU5335 if EDU3335 has been previously completed.
Professionals working with children and adolescents consistently rate the management of children's social and behavioural problems as one of their major concerns. It is therefore important that professionals are able to develop the knowledge and skills necessary to effectively deal with these problems in a way which promotes a positive teaching and learning environment for all children.
The overall aim of this course is to introduce professionals working with children to information concerning the following: emotional and behavioural problems of children and adolescents; the nature of the causes of these problems; various approaches to assisting young people to overcome these problems. The course outlines the kinds of problems professionals can expect to encounter and elaborates on a range of strategies, both preventive and remedial, for responding in a positive and effective manner to them. The intent of the course is to assist professionals to develop a sound understanding of the nature of emotional and behavioural problems of children and young people, and to develop an awareness of appropriate ways of dealing with the difficulties.
Course learning outcomes
The course objectives define the student learning outcomes for a course. The assessment item(s) that may be used to assess student achievement of an objective are shown in parenthesis. On successful completion of this course students should be able to:
- outline, define and reflect on the major social and adjustment problems experienced by primary and secondary age children and youth (Quizzes, Assignment)
- critically analyse and interpret social/adjustment problems from key perspectives - medical, psychological, sociological, ecological and educational (Assignment)
- apply established theories and knowledge about the development of children and adolescents to the social and adjustment problems which many children and youth experience (Quizzes, Assignment)
- research the major behaviour problems presented by primary and secondary pupils and identify a range of appropriate interventions to them (Assignment)
- assess, critically evaluate and effectively communicate learning information about emotional and behavioural problems of young people (Assignment).
|1.||Definition, prevalence and history of social and behavioural problems in children||5.00|
|2.||Classification and assessment of social and behavioural problems||10.00|
|3.||Major explanations/causes of social and behavioural problems in children||10.00|
|4.||Types of disordered behaviour||35.00|
|5.||Approaches to the prevention and remediation of social and behaviour problems in children and adolescents||40.00|