|Semester 3, 2022 Toowoomba On-campus|
|Faculty or Section :||Faculty of Health, Engineering and Sciences|
|School or Department :||School of Agriculture and Environmental Science|
|Student contribution band :||Band 2|
|Grading basis :||Pass/Not Pass|
|Version produced :||17 May 2022|
Pre-requisite: Completion of 2nd year (or 2 years full time study in a relevant area)
There is a need to provide students with opportunities that extend the academic learning environment and link into the professional world. This course allows students to experience a professional working situation where they apply concepts, skills and knowledge while contributing to a specific workplace related project.
This course provides students with an opportunity to apply their specialised subject knowledge and academic skills to a practical situation in order to prepare them to successfully work in their future professional environment. It allows students to improve their learning by the application of the concepts, theories and graduate skills developed in their major area of study to their workplace activities and within a team environment. It will encourage a reflective approach to the development of their workplace skills. It is envisioned that the work experience will enhance the student's post-graduation employment prospects.
The course is offered in S1, S2, and S3. Students that are in employment may define a project in consultation with their employer and discussion with the SCI3302 course examiner, however, the project is to be unrelated to their usual workplace activities. Students who enrol in this course cannot request an exemption based on grounds of professional experience. The normal workload for this course is one day per week during the teaching period in which enrolled. If a suitable placement is not available, the student will not be able to enrol in this course.
Course learning outcomes
On completion of this course students will be able to:
- grow and demonstrate an implementation of academic skills in a professional workplace environment;
- apply the concepts and theories of their particular academic major area of study to a professional workplace environment;
- develop and demonstrate transitions skills which will equip them to make a positive contribution to their workplace;
- develop and demonstrate written and verbal workplace communication skills;
- build and demonstrate an ability to work effectively as a member of a professional workplace team;
- make a positive contribution to the goals of an organisation;
- acquire the skills and responsibilities that allow them to be a productive and effective member of a workplace organisation.
|1.||Expectations of a professional in a workplace||50.00|
|2.||Other topics as negotiated between student, employer and course examiner||50.00|