|Semester 3, 2022 Toowoomba On-campus|
|Faculty or Section :||USQ College|
|School or Department :||USQ College|
|Student contribution band :||Band 1|
|Grading basis :||Graded|
|Version produced :||29 June 2022|
Students entering tertiary study require an opportunity to master, practise and refine mathematical skills as prerequisites for successful study. This course will provide students with the mathematics essential for tertiary studies in Bachelor of Business and Commerce; Bachelor of Information Technology; Bachelor of Education; Bachelor of Nursing (Pre-Registration); Bachelor of Paramedicine; Bachelor of Sport and Exercise and the Bachelor of Science (Biology, Computing, Psychology, Psychology and Human Physiology and Information Technology). It also provides foundational material for further studies in pre-tertiary courses in mathematics and physics.
After reviewing fundamental arithmetic principles, the course introduces proportional reasoning and develops this through a number of topics before introducing generalised mathematical thinking and basic algebra. The self-paced instruction allows students to develop confidence with mathematics, mathematical communication and general problem solving and provides students with the foundation skills to enable them to engage with the mathematical concepts encountered in the tertiary studies detailed above.
Course learning outcomes
On completion of this course students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of mathematical topics essential for tertiary study as detailed below.
- Interpret and solve a range of problems involving mathematical concepts relevant to this course.
- Demonstrate the skills and understanding necessary to extend mathematical knowledge into everyday life and other studies.
- Effectively interpret and communicate mathematics within a range of concepts.
- Demonstrate an understanding of learning strategies used in the study of mathematics.
- Demonstrate an ability to manage, and reflect on, their learning of the mathematics in this course.
|2.||Revision of topics covered in TPP7180||3.00|
|3.||Comparing numbers – percentages, fractions, ratios and rates||15.00|
|4.||The power of numbers – power rules, scientific notation, metric system||12.00|
|5.||Representing relationships – formula and introduction to graphs||15.00|
|6.||Representing relationships – straight line, parabolic and exponential graphs||16.00|
|7.||Dealing with data – statistics and probability, introduction to graphing in Excel||19.00|
|8.||Representing relationships – algebra||18.00|