PWE3000 Professional Work Experience
|Short Description:||Prof Work Experience|
|Faculty or Section :||Faculty of Business, Education, Law and Arts|
|School or Department :||Faculty of Business, Education, Law and Arts|
|Student contribution band :||Band 3|
|ASCED code :||129999 - Mixed Field Programmes not els|
|Grading basis :||Graded|
|Version produced :||29 January 2020|
Pre-requisite: Students must have successfully completed a minimum of 16 units in their program of study.
- PWE3000 is not available to international students regardless of location or mode of study as it is an elective course. Australian regulations do not allow an elective work-based training course that is not a mandatory program requirement to be offered to international students.
- This course cannot be completed overseas. The industry placement must be undertaken in Australia
- All students are responsible for securing their industry placement of between 80-120 hours. It is important students allow sufficient time in order to secure a placement prior to the commencement of Semester. The placement should involve practice in the area of their major study.
- If a placement is unable to be secured by the end of Week 1, it is recommended that students reconsider their enrolment in this course.
- If the student intends to base their project on their current place of work, they must also have received the written permission of their employer as the placement activities must not be related to their current day-to-day work activities.
- In association with the Host Organisation, all students must complete both Preplace and InPlace (incorporating the Work Experience Proposal Form) which are located on the StudyDesk (Steps 1 and 3) prior to the end of Week One. For assistance, a hard copy of the Work Experience Proposal Form is available on the study desk and can also be accessed at https://lor.usq.edu.au/usq/integ/gen/7fd6fb5d-ce7a-457d-88ca-cc130eaf0f70/0. The Work Experience Proposal Form will detail the student’s proposed industry placement. Upon completing the PrePlace and Inplace procedures, and upon ‘in principle’ approval given by the Course Examiner, a Student Placement Contract is sent to the Student for the Host Organisation. The signed Student Placement Contract must be returned prior to the last day to drop a course without a fee. This will all be conducted through the InPlace program. Students who do not submit the Student Placement Contract by this time, will be dropped from PWE3000.
- Finalisation of a placement in the course is dependent on approval of the student's proposal and the return of the completed Student Placement Contract by the Course Examiner.
- Students are required to have access to a personal computer, e-mail capabilities and Internet access to UConnect. Current details of computer requirements can be found at http://www.usq.edu.au/current-students/support/computing/hardware
- The Professional Work Experience Manual located on the StudyDesk provides additional information in relation to the course. The Professional Work Experience Manual can also be accessed at https://lor.usq.edu.au/usq/integ/gen/7fd6fb5d-ce7a-457d-88ca-cc130eaf0f70/0.
- There is no recognition for prior learning for this course. Students who enrol in this course cannot request an exemption based on the grounds of prior or current professional experience.
The purpose of this course is to give students the opportunity to experience the applied aspects of working in the area of their major study. This course aims to provide the student with experience in applying discipline knowledge and skills in the context of professional practice in order to strengthen discipline-specific learning and specialisation. The course allows students to gain a critical understanding of the role of reflection on learning and self-evaluation in professional environments.