|Short Description:||Professional Teacher 1|
|Faculty or Section :||Faculty of Business, Education, Law and Arts|
|School or Department :||School of Education|
|Student contribution band :||Band 1|
|ASCED code :||070103 - Teacher Education: Primary|
|Grading basis :||Graded|
Pre-req: EDP2111 and (EDP2222 or SPE3001 or EDH2254 or SPE3005) and Students must be enrolled in: BEDU (Primary or Primary+SpecialEd or SpecialEd or HPE Primary or SHPE Primary or BPED
Enrolment is not permitted if EDC3100 has been previously completed
IMPORTANT - Student requirements for enrolment in EPP3100
The Professional Experience placement for EPP3100 is in the Establishment Phase of the school year and commences from the first Pupil Free Day for the school site in January.
1. Early enrolment is required to secure your placement for the commencement of the school year*
2. Enrolment is required by the end of the first week of November the previous year
3. Your Blue Card needs to be current and have an expiry date beyond the semester of offer, or your full and complete application for Blue Card renewal has been submitted to USQ prior to your enrolment for EPP3100
4. EPP3100 is offered in Semester 1 each year. Failure to enrol on time will delay your program completion
5. EPP3100 enrolments will close at the end of second week of November, the previous year. This will enable the USQ professional experience office to contact schools and confirm placements before schools close for the end of year holidays
6. You must contact your mentor and negotiate your establishment phase attendance prior to the completion of the previous school year
7. Ideally PST attends from the first Pupil Free day of the school year and complete the placement before the University Semester 1 commencement. (*varies based on State, Independent or Catholic school systems).
Students must be available for a prescribed period of time to undertake a placement in a school or other approved site as required in this course.
Before commencing this course students will be assumed to have read the full details of Professional Experience particulars and familiarised themselves with the requirements. Please see the Education Placement Professional Experience website https://www.usq.edu.au/current-students/assessment/professional-experience and the Professional Experience Book for full details.
State law in Queensland (Australia) requires that all adults working/undertaking professional experience/researching with children under the age of 18, in the state of Queensland must hold a valid blue card http://www.bluecard.qld.gov.au/volunteers/doineedabluecard.html OR exemption card http://www.bluecard.qld.gov.au/faqs/exemption-card-faqs.html.
If undertaking placement outside of Queensland you must ensure that all relevant checks are completed and evidence of this is provided to the Professional Experience office http://www.usq.edu.au/current-students/assessment/professional-experience.
Students need to lodge their blue card application or renewal online . Students will need to register with blue card services and validate their identification online. If successful, the student will be provided an online account number to send to the Professional Experience Team to ensure there are no delays with their placement. Students will not be able to commence their placement without a current blue card. USQ recommends students lodge their renewal at least 28 days prior to the expiry of their current card. https://www.usq.edu.au/current-students/academic/education-placements/blue-cards
Where a student is denied approval for a blue card, enrolment in any initial teacher education program will be withdrawn (refer to https://www.bluecard.qld.gov.au/disqualification.html).
If undertaking Professional Experience outside of Queensland, students are advised to check the Working with Children requirements of the state within which Professional Experience will be undertaken (refer to https://www.usq.edu.au/current-students/assessment/education-placements/working-with-children).
The beginning of the school year is a pivotal time for educators. In this fifth Practice meets Theory course, pre-service teachers will be required to undertake a three-week (15 days) professional experience at the beginning of the school year. Pre-service teachers will observe and assist the strategies used by teachers to establish the classroom environment, both physical and relational, during this establishment phase. This course will also introduce pre-service teachers to unit planning and assessment practices which embed the general capabilities and cross-curricula priorities within the Australian Curriculum. There is opportunity for pre-service teachers to explore a variety of legislative, legal, administrative and procedural expectations of teachers.
For full details of the Professional Experience particulars, please refer to the Professional Experience website and the Professional Experience Book.