Blue cards and working with children checks

Placements within Queensland

Before you can attend your professional experience placement in Queensland, you must hold a valid Blue Card or Exemption Card. This Blue Card cannot be due to expire at any time throughout your placement. It is essential that you do not delay in lodging your Blue Card or Exemption Card application as the screening process can take up to 12 weeks. 

Students located within 50km of USQ

In response to COVID Blue Card services have advised all blue card applications/renewals/linking applications can be emailed to USQ for all students, including those who live within 50km of a campus.

You will need to ensure you have a completed both the application and Confirmation of Identity Form. Once both forms are completed please email to

  • Application/renewal form (PDF 241KB) - A renewal application can be submitted up to 16 weeks before the expiry date and must be lodged no later than 6 weeks prior to the expiry of the card or this will delay professional experience placement. The rules governing the process to renew a Blue Card as a student for Professional Experience are different to those rules for paid employees that require a Blue Card.
  • Link an applicant/cardholder to this organisation form (PDF 165KB) - This is required when a student already holds a Blue Card from another organisation but needs to link their card for their study at USQ.
  • Exemption form (PDF 209KB) - Students who are currently employed as police officers or registered teachers within Australia.

Students located further than 50km from USQ

If you are located further than 50km away from any USQ campus, you are required to include a completed and certified Confirmation of Identity form (PDF 145KB) along with the appropriate form from above and send to the Professional Experience team

Placements outside of Queensland

If you are undertaking placement outside of Queensland you must ensure that you have a valid clearance for the state you are in, further training/certificates (where applicable) are completed and evidence of this is provided to the Professional Experience office in order to undertake required placement. 

Certain people may be disqualified up front from applying for a working with children check; it is recommended that you contact your local authority regarding this.

Blue card requirements