You must submit an application within 12 months of the end of the period of study in which the course was, or was to be undertaken.
All applications must include a personal Statement of Special Circumstances along with supporting documentation from an independent source (supporting documentation from family members or friends is not considered independent and will not be accepted). Applications submitted without supporting documentation will be declined.
You can submit a Waive Academic Penalty and Fee Reversal application online via Student Centre > Online Requests.
If you are unable to submit your application via your Student Centre please contact Student Support for further advice.
You will be notified of the outcome of your application via email within 30 days.
Applications must include independent supporting documentation verifying the circumstances and how they impacted on the student’s ability to successfully complete the course.
The documentation should include a Medical Certificate completed by your medical practitioner and must include:
- the medical practitioner's name, contact details and provider number
- date of consultations
- your details
- a statement from that medical practitioner stating the date the medical condition began or changed, how the condition affected the student's ability to study and when it became apparent that the student could not continue studying (i.e. confirming the medical condition was/is serious enough to affect your studies).
Family and/or personal reasons
The documentation must include a statement from a medical practitioner, counsellor or independent member of the community stating:
- the name and contact details of the medical practitioner, counsellor or independent member of the community
- the date your personal circumstances began or changed
- how the circumstances affected your ability to study
- when it became apparent that you could not continue studying.
These circumstances may include the death of a close family member, severe medical problems within your family, collapse of a family business severe enough to require your personal attention, etc.
Employment related reasons
The documentation must include a statement from your employer stating:
- the employer's name and contact details
- the date your conditions of employment changed
- how this prevented you from studying.