Skip to content

HELP loans

Commonwealth Supported places

If you are offered a Commonwealth Supported place, you must complete a Commonwealth Assistance Form (CAF) by the census date.

Commonwealth supported students may be eligible for HECS-HELP assistance if you are one of the following:

  • an Australian citizen 
  • a holder of a Permanent Humanitarian Visa
  • a New Zealand citizen who meets all of the long term residency requirements.

New Zealand citizens or Permanent Residents who are not humanitarian visa holders

New Zealand citizens who do not meet the long term residency requirements and holders of a Permanent Residency Visa (not humanitarian) will be eligible for Commonwealth support provided they are a resident in Australia for the duration of the unit of study in which they are enrolled. Full eligibility requirements of Commonwealth Support and HECS-HELP assistance is available. 

Commonwealth Assistance Notice

After the census date each semester, USQ will provide Commonwealth Supported students with a Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN), which will include details such as your Student Learning Entitlement usage, student contribution amount, HELP assistance, and your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN).

You can view and print your Commonwealth Assistance Notice online (eCAN) at UConnect > Student Centre > Finances.

Domestic full tuition places

Domestic full tuition fee paying students may be eligible for FEE-Help if you are one of the following:

  • an Australian citizen
  • a holder of a Permanent Humanitarian Visa
  • a New Zealand citizen who meets all of the long term residency requirements.

To set up your FEE-HELP loan, you must complete a Request for FEE-HELP loan within your Student Centre > Commonwealth Assistance Forms > FEE-HELP form, by the census date

If you do not meet the eligibility for FEE-HELP you must pay your fees by the payment due date.  

Full eligibility requirements of FEE-HELP assistance is available.


SA-HELP is a Commonwealth Government loan made available to eligible students to help pay all or part of their Student Services and Amenities fee for the relevant year.

Who is eligible for SA-HELP?

You are eligible for a SA-HELP loan if you are:

  • an Australian citizen enrolled in an award program
  • hold a permanent humanitarian visa enrolled in an award program.

From 1st January 2016 New Zealand citizens who hold a Special Category Visa and are resident in Australia may be eligible for SA-Help if they meet certain eligibility criteria. Information on eligibility is available on the Study Assist website.

Please note that cross-institutional students studying with USQ are not eligible to defer their SA Fee.

Applying for a loan

If you wish to apply for a SA-HELP loan, you are required to complete a Request for SA-HELP Assistance Form, including your tax file number, prior to the census date of the semester you wish to start studying.

Further information

Further information about SA-HELP is available from the Study Assist website.