Skip to main content

Taking a break from study - leave of absence

If you wish to be absent from study for just one semester in an academic year, you do not need to apply for a leave of absence. You just need to enrol in the semester/s for which you intend to study.

A leave of absence is approval granted to students to cease study as an enrolled student for a full academic year (Semester 1, 2 and 3).

All periods of leave are counted as part of the maximum period allowed for completion of your program.

How to apply

To apply for a leave of absence for a full academic year, submit a formal request in writing to the University containing all relevant information including name, student number, and program enrolled. Requests should be submitted via the 'Ask a Question' tab at Ask USQ - question type 'enrolments'.

Alternatively, you may mail your request to:

Fees and Enrolment
Student Support and Retention
Students and Communities Division
University of Southern Queensland
Toowoomba Qld 4350

After applying for a leave of absence, you can check the status of your enrolment via UConnect (you will be required to enter your username and password).

International Students

Under Department of Immigration and Citizenship regulations, on-campus international students may take a maximum of six months leave of absence. To apply for a leave of absence you will need to submit a formal request using Leave of Absence form. 

Want more information?

If you have any questions about applying for a leave of absence, please contact your Student Relationship Officer.