Skip to main content

Commonwealth supported students

 A Commonwealth supported place is where the Australian Government makes a contribution towards the cost of your higher education and you as a student pay a student contribution amount, which varies depending on the courses undertaken.

Your student contribution amount

Your student contribution amount and the amount you actually pay will vary depending on what courses (subjects) you take, the applicable Commonwealth fee band, and what year you commenced study. The amounts shown in the table are estimates based on full-time study.


Band Unit Classification 2017 maximum student contribution amount (/full time year)
National Priorities Pre-2010 commencing Education and Nursing students only $ 5,081
 1 Humanities, Behavioural Science, Social Studies, Clinical Psychology, Foreign Languages, Visual and Performing Arts, Nursing, Education $ 6,349
 2 Computing, Built Environment, other Health,  Allied Health, Engineering, Surveying, Agriculture, Maths, Statistics, Science $ 9,050
 3 Law, Accounting, Commerce, Business Administration, Economics $10,596

Your student contribution amount also depends on when you commenced your university study:

  • Students who commenced prior to 1 January 2010 in a Nursing or Education program and have not completed that program will continue to pay the National Priority rate.
  • Students who commenced from 1 January 2010 in a Nursing or Education program will be charged at the Band 1 rate.

Am I eligible to defer my student contribution?

The options available to you when paying your student contribution, depend on your citizenship or residency status. More information is available.