Skip to main content

Working in Australia whilst studying and after graduation

If you will be working in Australia, ensure to consider the following:

Visa information

If you are granted a student visa, it is important that you meet the conditions of your visa while studying at USQ, therefore you must:

  • study full-time
  • attend your classes
  • have satisfactory academic progression, and
  • have current Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
  • Most student visas allow you to work up to 40 hours per fortnight during semester and unlimited hours during university holidays

A detailed list of visa compliance is available at the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website.

Workplace rights

Understand your rights while working in Australia. This information can be found at Fair Work Ombudsman.

Paying Taxes

Generally, if you're an overseas student enrolled at an Australian institution in a course that is more than six months long, you are regarded as an Australia resident for tax purposes. You pay tax on your earnings at the same rate as other residents.

You'll need to apply for a tax file number from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). If you're studying in Australia for less than 6 months, you might not be eligible for a tax file number. You'll need to keep your tax file number secure and not share it with anyone.

When you apply for a tax file number, make sure that you use your Australian address if you're studying here for more than 6 months.

View further information about applying for a tax file number at the Australian Tax Office.