Counselling is usually short-term and focused on the issues impacting your study. You may be referred to appropriate practitioners off-campus if long-term counselling or specialist services are required.
You may want to use our counselling service to:
- talk about adjusting to university and being away from home
- balancing your studies and other commitments
- managing exam stress
- improving your assertiveness or confidence
- enhancing your motivation
- working through relationship or family issues
- managing psychological conditions
- coping with distressing situations or crises.
Our counselling team
The counselling team are qualified and experienced professionals with the central goal of helping you to increase your sense of wellbeing, and they appreciate the different needs of students coming from other cultures and backgrounds.
Normally, your initial appointment will be a 15 minute face-to-face or telephone session; also known as a drop-in.
This is not a counselling session, but gives you the opportunity to see a counsellor relatively quickly and they can:
- determine whether you need an urgent appointment
- ensure you’re getting help from the most appropriate source
- provide you with some helpful resources or information.
If you and the counsellor agree that you would benefit from individual, short-term solution-focused counselling, you will be offered a full appointment.
Online counselling is real time face-to-face support with a counsellor using free and secure Zoom conferencing technology. The free and confidential session lasts up to 50 minutes. View our guidelines (PDF 236KB).
How to access online counselling
Please contact us to request and online counselling appointment.
You will be provided with a client details forms and an initial intake form, which you must sign and return prior to your appointment.
Your first appointment will be a 15 minute appointment via phone to determine if online counselling is suitable for you. If it is suitable, you will be scheduled into the next available counselling appointment via your UMail account.