What is Headstrong?
Headstrong is a free self-directed online program designed to help USQ students develop strategies for managing stress and overcoming challenges at university and beyond. Over eight weeks, the program uses Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) to:
- help you identify the life values that brought you to university and use them to stay motivated while working towards your goals
- learn to control negative thoughts and feelings about yourself and your academic abilities so they don’t control you
- use mindfulness techniques to help you relax and stay focused
- find and access student support services at USQ.
Each of the six optional modules takes around two hours to work through and can be completed around your other commitments.
There’s no right or wrong way to complete Headstrong, however each module is designed to build on the ones that came before it, so by committing to the full program, you’ll develop an emotional toolkit you can draw on when faced with difficult situations throughout your life.
You’ll also have the opportunity to build your support network at university by engaging with your peers.
On registering for Headstrong, you’ll also get access to the additional Careerstrong program, designed to help you:
- decide whether the program and/or major you’re enrolled in is right for you
- learn to work more effectively as a member of a group
- identify and secure work experience opportunities in your chosen field
- extend your professional network in your chosen field
- access Careers & Employability support services at USQ.
The next offering of Headstrong begins in Semester 2, 2020 - dates to be confirmed.
If you have any questions about Headstrong, you can email the Headstrong team at email@example.com.