If you have concerns about your legal rights and responsibilities, we are able to provide support. If we are unable to provide an answer we can put you in touch with someone who will.
Some of the common issues that students may face include:
- issues with residential tenancy agreements and/or issues with landlords/leases
- traffic offences and disqualified licences
- experiencing violence in a relationship
- accused of breaking the law or charged with a crime
- unfair treatment or discrimination
- consumer issues, blacklisting or struggling with debt collectors.
If you find yourself facing any of these situations, make an appointment with a Student Wellness Advisor tel: 07 4631 2372 or book online via access.
Legal consultation and advice
For legal support please contact The Advocacy and Support Centre (TASC) on (07) 4616 9700 (Toowoomba) or (07) 3812 7000 (Ipswich) or the TASC Hotline: 1800 272 596.
TASC offers free legal, advocacy and social services and information to people who are at risk, people who have a disability, people who have mental illness, and people who might not otherwise have a voice in our community.
If you require legal advice, contact your local Community Legal Centre. Visit the National Association of Community Legal Centres to find one in your area.
Depending on your circumstances, you can also contact Legal Aid Queensland for free legal advice.
If you are looking for advocacy for issues like appealing a grade or you need advice about your rights as a student, the USQ Student Guild has trained Member Services Officers who can assist you.
Justice of the Peace (JP) services
Justices of the Peace are available each Wednesday from 12.00pm-2.00pm to certify copies of original documents or witness documents. A JP can be found on:
- USQ Toowoomba - R Block near Bounce Café
- USQ Springfield - Building B atrium
No appointments are necessary; however please ensure you bring proof of identification with you.
- From 10th July 2019 USQ Ipswich – Entrance of Building H (library) BOOKINGS ARE ESSENTIAL FOR THIS SERVICE. Please email: email@example.com, Tel: 07 4631 2372 or visit the reception desk to secure your spot.