Academic Development and Outside Studies Program (the Program)
The program provides a period of paid absence for research, teaching and professional experience aligned with the University's objectives.
What's new in 2019?
The Program Procedure and supporting processes have been reviewed to ensure they are streamlined, contemporary and supporting the development of academic employees in line with the future strategic needs of the University. The revised program and procedure provides a range of enhancements for all eligible employees applying for the Program from 2019.
Important changes that applicants should be aware of are:
- There will only be one call for applications for the Program taken in Semester One, Semester Two and Semester Three of the following year (in the past applications were called twice a year)
- The timeframe of the program has been revised with a duration of two to six months
- Applicants in the PhD/Doctoral category are required to finalise and submit their Thesis for examination at the end of the approved Program period
- A new restricted category ‘Academic career revitalisation’ has been added to the Program
- The restricted ‘Early career Academic’ category’s definition has been updated
- Externally funded ‘research only’ employees should provide evidence that the Program is supported by the external agent before applying for the Program
- The introduction of an academic portfolio which should be submitted with the application form
- The criteria for assessment has been updated
- The appeals process has been removed
Academic employees considering applying for a period of ADOSP should familiarise themselves with the following:
- Academic Development and Outside Studies Program Procedure
- Terms of Reference Program Assessment Committee
- Program Guidelines for Applicants and Supervisors
- Academic Development and Outside Studies Program Application Form
- Academic Portfolio
- Academic Development and Outside Studies Program Report Template
- Academic Development and Outside Studies Program Variation Template
The Program Timeframes
|Semesters One, Two and Three 2020||Date|
|Call for applications||20 March 2019|
|Program Application Form and Academic Portfolio completed by Applicant and forwarded to supervisor||26 April 2019|
|Completed by supervisor and forwarded to Executive Dean||17 May 2019|
|Completed by Executive Dean and forwarded to Human Resources||7 June 2019|
|Program Assessment Committee meeting held||5 July 2019|
|Written advice from Human Resources to applicants||No later than 26 July 2019|
All questions relating to the Academic Development and Outside Studies Program should be directed to Sonia Swanepoel.