Learn to use EndNote
Scheduled classes for Introduction or Advanced EndNote are available on campus or online via Zoom.
Here are some excellent ways to learn to use EndNote:
- Use the USQ EndNote workbook to step you through learning EndNote.
- Self-paced EndNote video tutorials (YouTube). For Basic and Advanced features of EndNote - watch, pause and do - with any number of these videos – from 6 minutes to 1 hour in length. The videos are also downloadable for access at any time.
Advice for USQ users of EndNote: USQ databases cannot be searched via Online Search from your EndNote library (a feature often demonstrated in the EndNote Training Videos) so please ignore this feature. Direct searching in a database (EBSCO, Science Direct, Emerald, Taylor & Francis, JSTOR, Project Muse) will produce better research results.
Before you install your EndNote or when you are notified of updates, please consult this site ResearchSotware.com for compatibility issues.
Some EndNote features
Referencing or output styles
EndNote has over 1000 referencing or output styles for you to choose from including APA 6th. To add the Harvard AGPS6 USQ Version or the Australian Guide to Legal Citation (AGLC UQ Version) go to the Crandon Services website. Follow these instructions to save the style to your EndNote program. Do you need MLA? Or Oxford? Or IEEE? EndNote has all of these ready for your use and adaptation. If the style does not appear in the list of styles contact EndNote support.
Direct export (download citations) from a database or the web into EndNote
You can export citations you find in many of the Library's databases to EndNote. Check the database's webpages to see how they offer this - either as Download Citation or Export to EndNote. You can also use Google Scholar to export to EndNote but you must change the settings to make this work (See Class Workbook, p.15)
Saving your library (and the Sync feature)
EndNote saves itself on closing when you use the red cross on the top right. EndNote has a web-based version to which you can sync your desktop, laptop or other devices' library.
Set up a web account immediately you start using EndNote to regularly synchronize your desktop, laptop, iPad or other devices' libraries. In undertaking this step you be asked to create a back up copy of your library. EndNote will prompt you to save it as a compressed file (.enlx - which is a combination of .enl + .Data). Click 'Yes'. You will see the file in your My Documents folder on both Windows and Mac as Your Name Library.enlx. Once this is opened there will be three files visible in the directory or folder and they must be kept together. Do not be tempted to move EndNote files (.enl, .Data and .enlx) anywhere else.
To avoid problems open your library from the Start button and the EndNote program, through a Word processor, or a shortcut icon - not from inside this folder.
EndNote Web - for collaboration and keeping your library up to date
EndNote Basic™ is the cloud version of EndNote that enables synchronization of your library across multiple computers. Google EndNote Web and create an account (no costs involved). Next time you open your EndNote library Go to EndNote Edit > Preferences >Sync and complete the details. Whenever you choose to Sync your library it will go out to your EndNote Web library to find changes and update your work library with your home library so they are all the same (TIP: Use the one name for all your libraries as this saves confusion and ensures no fuss with the synchronization).
Troubleshooting EndNote problems
Very Important: When writing your assignment or thesis, be aware of the code that links EndNote to Word. When formatted a word document will contain a list of references or a bibliography at the end. Formatting means code is embedded in the document. To move or delete any text that contains EndNote code you should highlight the whole text (be sure you haven't missed any), copy or cut, then paste. Ensure you include all the highlighted EndNote components. To be safe you can Convert Citations to Unformatted, cut and paste, then Update Citations and Bibliography.
- Find the answer to your problem with EndNote - Troubleshooting videos (no more that 5 mins duration)
- Google your problem
- Video tutorials at https://www.youtube.com/user/endnotetraining
- The Little EndNote How-To Book: http://endnote.com/kb/129310
- EndNote's FAQs
- Live online classes with EndNote trainers. Register for the class and receive access to the recorded session online if you can’t make it.
- USQ Library's EndNote support using email@example.com . Include these details: The problem; EndNote version; browser; computer OS - Windows or Mac; MS Office version; phone contact if you wish to have us call you. You will receive a reply within a reasonable 48 hour time frame depending on time of semester, unless you mark it URGENT.
- Ask USQ