1. Getting ready to apply
The Higher Degree by Research (HDR) application closing dates for S1, 2020 are:
- International Applicants - 17 January 2020
- Domestic Applicants - 6 March 2020
For S2, 2020 the closing dates are:
- International Applicants – 8 June 2020
- Domestic Applicants – 24 July 2020
- clarify your research thesis topic
- confirm you meet the entry requirements of your preferred degree
- find a research supervisor
- browse and identify the perfect research scholarship for you (please note research scholarships are not all year round).
As part of USQ’s Reconciliation Action Plan, a scheme exists to promote entry into the PhD by the Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders. Staff from the Graduate Research School (GRS) are available via email, phone or in person to assist with the application process.
2. Find and connect with your supervisor
Now it’s time to find and connect with your potential supervisor. Email them to introduce yourself, including a short outline (approximately 500 words) of your intended research project.
Finally, be sure to provide a draft Preliminary Research Thesis Topic Proposal (DOC 48KB) when you contact your proposed supervisor. The proposed supervisor may ask for additional information to support your application.
3. Complete your application form
Once you have found your proposed supervisor, you will need to submit the relevant application.
- Higher Degree by Research Application - Australian, New Zealand Citizens and Permanent Residents
- International Student Higher Degree by Research Application
Make sure you include the Preliminary Research Thesis Topic Proposal (DOC 48KB) along with the following supporting documents:
International Applicants (due to COVID-19 the requirement of Certified Copies has been suspended for Semester 2 2020 applications only)
- Certified copies of Bachelors, Honours or Masters academic transcripts (with grading information) and award certificates. For Masters level programs, high school transcripts and certificates should also be included.
- A certified copy of your birth certificate or relevant pages of your passport.
- Certified evidence of English language proficiency, as outlined in the English Language Proficiency Requirements Schedule.
- A current curriculum vitae (CV).
- Any other supporting documentation outlined in your chosen degrees entry requirements.
- Official Academic Transcripts