1. Getting ready to apply
Consideration of your application can take time, so allow a minimum of 25 working days for your application to be processed.
Prior to applying, you should:
- clarify your research thesis topic
- confirm you meet the entry requirements of your preferred degree
- find a research supervisor
- browse and identify the perfect research scholarship for you (please note research scholarships are not all year round).
As part of USQ’s Reconciliation Action Plan, an initiative exists to promote entry into the PhD by Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander applicants. Staff from the Graduate Research School (GRS) are available via email, phone or in person to assist with the application process.
2. Find and connect with your supervisor
Now it’s time to find and connect with your potential supervisor. Email them to introduce yourself, including a short outline (approximately 500 words) of your intended research project.
Finally, be sure to provide a draft Preliminary Research Thesis Topic Proposal (DOC 53KB) when you contact your proposed supervisor. The proposed supervisor may ask for additional information to support your application.
3. Complete your application form
Once you have found your proposed supervisor, you will need to submit the relevant application.
- Higher Degree by Research Application - Australian, New Zealand Citizens and Permanent Residents
- International Student Higher Degree by Research Application
Make sure you include the Preliminary Research Thesis Topic Proposal (DOC 53KB) along with the following supporting documents:
- Official academic transcripts of your Bachelors, Honours or Masters academic transcripts (with grading information) and award certificates.
- A copy of your birth certificate or relevant pages of your passport.
- Evidence of English language proficiency, as outlined in the English Language Proficiency Requirements Schedule.
- A current curriculum vitae (CV).
If you are an International applicant, please ensure that you provide a certified copy of these documents.