Application steps

1. Getting ready to apply

You can apply to study a Higher Degree by Research (HDR) at any time during the year. 

Consideration of your application can take time, so allow a minimum of 25 working days between submitting your application and the start of your requested semester. Research studies generally commence at the start of Semester 1 and 2 (see important dates). Prior to applying, you should:

As part of USQ’s Reconciliation Action Plan, a scheme exists to promote entry into the PhD by the Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders. Staff from the Office of Research Graduate Studies (ORGS) are available via email, phone or in person to assist with the application process.

2. Find and connect with your supervisor

Now it’s time to find and connect with your potential supervisor. Email them to introduce yourself, including a short outline (approximately 500 words) of your intended research project. 

Finally, be sure to provide a draft Preliminary Research Thesis Topic Proposal (DOC 78KB) when you contact your proposed supervisor. The proposed supervisor may ask for additional information to support your application.

3. Complete your application form

Once you have found your proposed supervisor, you will need to submit the relevant application. 

Make sure you include the Preliminary Research Thesis Topic Proposal (DOC 78KB) along with the following supporting documents:

  • Certified copies of Bachelors, Honours or Masters academic transcripts (with grading information) and award certificates. For Masters level programs, high school transcripts and certificates should also be included.
  • A certified copy of your birth certificate or relevant pages of your passport.
  • Certified evidence of English language proficiency, as outlined in the English Language Proficiency Requirements Schedule.
  • A current curriculum vitae (CV).
  • Any other supporting documentation outlined in your chosen degrees entry requirements. 

4. Submit your application

  • Australian, New Zealand citizens or Permanent Residents
    Submit your application online
  • International students
    Submit your application online.