Due to the bad weather caused by former tropical cyclone Debbie, staff and students at USQ Toowoomba, USQ Springfield and USQ Ipswich are not expected on campus today. Please stay safe and consider all weather warnings. USQ Toowoomba Graduations will proceed as planned tomorrow, however students required to travel for Graduations that are impacted by weather conditions are requested to contact the Graduations Office. Further information is available.
Step 1 - Pre-application process
Applications for Higher Degree by Research (HDR) programs may be submitted at any time. However you should allow a minimum of 25 working days between submission of an application and the start of your requested admission semester.
Semester start dates are listed in the 2017 Important dates.
Prior to applying for a HDR program, you should:
- confirm you meet the entry requirements of your preferred program;
- find a research supervisor in your area of interest or;
- find your Research Topic which matches your area of interest.
After identifying a potential supervisor, email them to introduce yourself and include a short outline (approximately 500 words) of your intended research project. After consultation with your proposed supervisor, students are required to fill out the Preliminary Research Thesis Topic Proposal (DOC 78KB).
If the staff member expresses an interest in your intended research, you may be requested to provide further information such as examples of your track record in research.
Step 2 - Fill out your application form
If the potential supervisor indicates your research project is likely to be supported, download and complete the relevant application form and Preliminary Research Thesis Topic Proposal form.
- Australian, New Zealand Citizens and Permanent Residents - Higher Degree by Research Application Form - Domestic (PDF* 256KB).
- International applicants - International Student Higher Degree by Research Application Form - (PDF* 298KB).
- All applicants - Preliminary Research Thesis Topic Proposal form (DOC 78KB).
Please attach the following documentation to your application:
- certified copies of Bachelors, Honours or Masters academic transcripts (with grading information) and award certificates. For Masters level programs, high school transcripts and certificates should also be included;
- a certified copy of your birth certificate or relevant pages of your passport;
- certified evidence of English language proficiency, as outlined in the English Language Proficiency Requirements Schedule;
- a current curriculum vitae (CV);
- any other supporting documentation required for the specific program admission requirements, as outlined in the USQ Handbook program entry.
Step 3 - Submit your application
- Australian, New Zealand citizens or Permanent Residents submit your application via the Submit a question to the USQ support team to Domestic Recruitment and Admissions;
- International student submit your application to International Recruitment and Admissions Note: only electronic copies accepted, certified documents are to be scanned and emailed).
What happens after I submit my application?
- After you have submitted your application it will be reviewed by the Faculty Research Office and the Office of Research Graduate Studies. This process takes on average 25 working days provided all the requested documentation has been supplied. If you have not made contact with a potential supervisor, or do not include certified copies of the required documentation, this process will take longer. Your proposed supervisor can make a recommendation on your admission only. The final decision on admission is undertaken by the Office of Research Graduate Studies.
- Once the review process is completed, formal advice on the admission decision will be forwarded to you (normally by email).
- Once you have received your enrolment letter of offer and accepted you will need to enrol in your relevant courses and pay tuition fees (if applicable) by the fee payment due date. Refer to your enrolment letter of offer and the USQ Handbook entry for your program's recommended enrolment pattern.
If you have any questions on your enrolment, please contact the Faculty Research Office (FacultyResearchSupport@usq.edu.au) for advice.
Fees and scholarships
Find out more about USQ's HDR Fees and Scholarships.