In 2019, USQ will offer one Australian Institute of Mine Surveyors (AIMS) Bursary.
Mine surveying is a specialist area of surveying involving the measurement, representation and management of data associated with a mining operation.
Mine Surveyors are responsible for guiding and controlling the location where mining occurs. They apply their specialised skills in dynamic and diverse environments, to accurately and efficiently plan and measure the location of mining in three dimensions to produce operational and statutory mine plans, using the latest in global navigation satellite systems (GPS), automated surveying technology and computer aided drafting.
Mine Surveyors are employed in open cut (surface) and underground mines in both the coal and metalliferous industries and also assist in mine planning, exploration and in securing and renewing mining approvals.
Mine Surveyors are required to be accredited (registered) to carry out mining surveys. This process involves obtaining practical mine surveying experience after completing tertiary education and the preparation of a number of specialised mining projects to demonstrate competency.
The bursary will have a maximum value of $4500.
The successful applicant may be offered professional work experience, in the year of the award, as mutually arranged.
- be an Australian Citizen or have permanent resident status
- be commencing or continuing their studies in a Bachelor of Spatial Science Technology (Surveying), Bachelor of Spatial Science (Honours) (Surveying) or Associate Degree of Spatial Science (Surveying) in Semester 1 2019
- be enrolled in a minimum of 3 study units in each of Semester 1 and Semester 2 of each year of the bursary
- have a high level of academic achievement
- be studying on-campus in Toowoomba
- submit a personal statement (one page maximum) outlining:
- why you would like to work in the mining industry
- how the bursary will assist you to achieve your future career plans
- provide evidence of academic achievement, e.g. high school report card or post-secondary academic history (academic transcript), as applicable.
Applications close at 5pm Friday 26 October 2018.
University of Southern Queensland
Phone: 1800 269 500
USQ reserves the right to alter the conditions of the scholarship/bursary based upon exceptional circumstances. USQ reserves the right to not award the scholarship/bursary in a given year.