Associate Degree of Medical Laboratory Science
Start your career in pathology or biomedical science
Gain the education and training necessary for a career as a medical technician or technical officer in the private and public pathology laboratory sectors with USQ’s Associate Degree of Medical Laboratory Science. This degree will also provide you with training for a career as a biomedical scientist with a research capability and/or a biomedical science support role. You will gain practical experience through structured placements in a pathology laboratory and/or by attendance at residential schools.
After completing the Associate Degree of Medical Laboratory Science, you have the option to take the credit from your studies and go on to complete the Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science.
In addition to the course structure outlined below, you will also need to complete clinical experience, where interactive hands-on activities, such as experiments and use of specialist equipment, are undertaken.
All students must be able to meet the physical and other professional requirements of clinical/professional practice within this program.Residential schools
If you are enrolled in the External study mode in this degree, you will have the opportunity to come on-campus for residential schools, where you will attend face-to-face lectures and tutorials, use the facilities and meet staff and other students.
How much will it cost?
Approximate annual costs1 for your first year of study (8 units) in this program are:
|Commonwealth supported||AUD 9527|
|Domestic full fee paying||AUD 25280|
Loan to help you pay your fees
You may not have to pay your course (subject) fees upfront. HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP allows you to defer your fees until your income reaches a certain level.
You may also be eligible to receive financial support from Centrelink.
Scholarships and financial assistance
You may be able to apply for scholarships to help with your study costs.
This program includes an on-campus residential school component that involves travel, accommodation and meal expenses.
To study this degree we assume you have sound knowledge in:
- Mathematics A
We assume that your knowledge is equivalent to four semesters at high school level (Years 11 and 12) with sound achievement (4, SA). Find out more about assumed knowledge.
It is also recommended that you have studied either Biology, Chemistry, or Science21, or equivalent.
All students must be able to meet the physical and other requirements of professional experience placements within this program. These include:
- evidence of immunity to notifiable and contagious diseases
- a signed QLD Health Student Orientation Checklist, QLD Health Placement Deed and a QLD Health Placement Privacy and Consent Deed, or a signed SA Health Student Orientation Checklist, SA Health Placement Deed and a SA Health Privacy and Consent Deed.
- a signed USQ Student Clinical Placement Policy Declaration.
English Language Requirements
You are required to satisfy the applicable English language requirements. This program requires a minimum of IELTS 6.0 or equivalent.
If you do not meet the English language requirements you may apply to study a University-approved English language program.
How to apply
- Apply via QTAC (Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre) if you:
- have never studied with USQ before, or
- are a Year 12 student, or
- want to transfer to USQ from another university.
Please note down the QTAC codes below to complete your application.
- Alternatively, you may be able to apply directly to USQ if you:
- are a current or previous USQ student returning to study with complete or incomplete qualifications (excluding Head Start students), or
- have recently graduated from TAFE.
Applying directly to USQ:
- Semester 1, 2020 - applications close Friday 6 March, with semester 1 commencing on Monday 24 February 2020.
- Semester 2, 2020 - applications close Friday 17 July (QTAC) and 24 July (direct), with semester 2 commencing on Monday 13 July 2020.
If you are applying via QTAC, you will need to check the QTAC closing dates.