Associate Degree of Medical Laboratory Science
- CRICOS: 098993K
- Semester 1 (February)
- Semester 2 (July)
- 16 units
- 2 years or part-time equivalent
Start your career in pathology or biomedical science
Gain the education and training necessary for a career as a medical technician or technical officer in the private and public pathology laboratory sectors with USQ’s Associate Degree of Medical Laboratory Science. This degree will also provide you with training for a career as a biomedical scientist with a research capability and/or a biomedical science support role. You will gain practical experience through structured placements in a pathology laboratory and/or by attendance at residential schools.
After completing the Associate Degree of Medical Laboratory Science, you have the option to take the credit from your studies and go on to complete the Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science.
In addition to the courses listed below, you will also need to complete clinical experience, where interactive hands-on activities, such as experiments and use of specialist equipment, are undertaken.
All students must be able to meet the physical and other professional requirements of clinical/professional practice within this program.Residential schools
If you are enrolled in the External study mode in this degree, you will have the opportunity to come on-campus for residential schools, where you will attend face-to-face lectures and tutorials, use the facilities and meet staff and other students.
How much will it cost?
Approximate annual costs1 for international students' first year of study (8 units) in this program:
Scholarships and financial assistance
You may be able to apply for scholarships to help with your study costs.
This program includes an on-campus residential school component that involves travel, accommodation and meal expenses.
- Subject pre-requisite: English (4 SA) or equivalent. Find your country's level of qualification and minimum entry requirements for this program.
- Assumed knowledge: Mathematics (4 SA)
- Recommended study: in one of Biology, Chemistry or Science21 (4 SA), or equivalent.
All students must be able to meet the physical and other requirements of professional experience placements within this program. These include:
- evidence of immunity to notifiable and contagious diseases
- a signed QLD Health Student Orientation Checklist, QLD Health Placement Deed and a QLD Health Placement Privacy and Consent Deed, or a signed SA Health Student Orientation Checklist, SA Health Placement Deed and a SA Health Privacy and Consent Deed.
- a signed USQ Student Clinical Placement Policy Declaration.
English Language Requirements
You are required to satisfy the applicable English language requirements. This program requires a minimum of IELTS 6.0 or equivalent.
If you do not meet the English language requirements you may apply to study a University-approved English language program.
Pathway programs are also available if you don't meet the English entry requirements mentioned above.
How to apply
USQ accepts applications all year. Semester start dates are:
- Semester 2, 2019 - Monday 15 July 2019.
- Semester 1, 2020 - Monday 24 February 2020.