Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science
- CRICOS: 098992M
- Semester 1 (February)
- Semester 2 (July)
- 24 units
- 3 years or part-time equivalent
Explore pathology and biomedicine
Find out how blood groups are determined and what malarial parasites or leukaemia look like under the microscope when you study USQ’s Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science. Graduates have work-ready skills in transfusion science, microbiology, haematology, histopathology and clinical biochemistry for a career as a medical laboratory scientist. USQ’s Medical Laboratory Science degree includes 65 days of clinical placement where you will gain hands-on pathology experience in a laboratory.
Medical laboratory scientists perform analyses on blood and other body fluids and tissues to provide information that is vital in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of human disease. You can choose to study your degree externally or enjoy an on-campus experience.
You will be eligible to apply for membership to professional organisations including the Australian Institute of Medical Scientists, Australian Society for Microbiology, Australian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and the Australian Society for Medical Research.
In addition to the courses listed below, you will also need to complete clinical experience, where interactive hands-on activities, such as experiments and use of specialist equipment, are undertaken.
All students must be able to meet the physical and other professional requirements of clinical/professional practice within this program.Residential schools
If you are enrolled in the External study mode in this degree, you will have the opportunity to come on-campus for residential schools, where you will attend face-to-face lectures and tutorials, use the facilities and meet staff and other students.
How much will it cost?
Approximate annual costs1 for international students' first year of study (8 units) in this program:
Scholarships and financial assistance
You may be able to apply for scholarships to help with your study costs.
This program includes a compulsory professional experience component that may involve travel, accommodation and meal expenses.
This program includes an on-campus residential school component that involves travel, accommodation and meal expenses.
- Subject pre-requisite: English (4 SA) or equivalent. Find your country's level of qualification and minimum entry requirements for this program.
- Assumed knowledge: Mathematics (4 SA)
- Recommended study: in one of Biology, Chemistry or Science21 (4 SA), or equivalent.
All students must be able to meet the physical and other requirements of professional experience placements within this program. These include:
- evidence of immunity to notifiable and contagious diseases
- a signed QLD Health Student Orientation Checklist, QLD Health Placement Deed and a QLD Health Placement Privacy and Consent Deed, or a signed SA Health Student Orientation Checklist, SA Health Placement Deed and a SA Health Privacy and Consent Deed.
- a signed USQ Student Clinical Placement Policy Declaration.
English Language Requirements
You are required to satisfy the applicable English language requirements. This program requires a minimum of IELTS 6.0 or equivalent.
If you do not meet the English language requirements you may apply to study a University-approved English language program.
Pathway programs are also available if you don't meet the English entry requirements mentioned above.
How to apply
USQ accepts applications all year. Semester start dates are:
- Semester 2, 2019 - Monday 15 July 2019.
- Semester 1, 2020 - Monday 24 February 2020.