Bachelor of Science (Food Science)
Indulge your passion for food and science
The food industry is adding value to the country’s great strength in agriculture and increasingly delivering exports into the world’s markets. You can be part of Australia’s largest manufacturing industry by studying USQ’s Bachelor of Science (Food Science) and discover the science behind the development of new food products.
You will learn about food chemistry and analysis, food processing and product development, as well as food safety. You will also develop an understanding of the effects of food components on human nutrition and health.
USQ is at the forefront of the developing market for ‘functional foods’ such as purple carrots and Queen Garnet plums. The University is a world leader in functional food research (ERA National Report, 2015).
Other majors for the Bachelor of Science include: Astronomical and Space Sciences, Computing, Counselling, Environment & Sustainability, Human Physiology, Information Technology, Mathematics, Mathematics & Statistics, Plant Agricultural Science, Psychology, Psychology Extended, Physical Sciences and Wine Science.
How much will it cost?
Approximate annual costs1 for your first year of study (8 units) in this program are:
|Commonwealth supported||AUD 9352|
|Domestic full fee paying||AUD 21640|
Loan to help you pay your fees
You may not have to pay your course (subject) fees upfront. HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP allows you to defer your fees until your income reaches a certain level.
You may also be eligible to receive financial support from Centrelink.
Scholarships and financial assistance
You may be able to apply for scholarships to help with your study costs.
- Subject pre-requisites: English (4, SA), Mathematics A (4, SA) or equivalent
- Recommended prior study: Mathematics B and one of Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Science21 or equivalent. If students do not have the recommended Mathematics B Level for entry then they will be required to undertake MAT1000 Mathematics Fundamentals as an elective.
English Language Requirements
You are required to satisfy the applicable English language requirements. This program requires a minimum of IELTS 6.0 or equivalent.
If you do not meet the English language requirements you may apply to study a University-approved English language program.
A number of other pathways are also available if you haven't been able to study previously or don't meet the requirements for entry into your program of interest.
How to apply
Applying directly to USQ:
- Semester 1, 2018 - applications close Monday 19 February, with semester 1 commencing on Monday 26 February 2018.
- Semester 2, 2018 - applications close Monday 2 July, with semester 2 commencing on Monday 16 July.
- Semester 3, 2018 - applications close Monday 5 November, with semester 3 commencing on Monday 19 November.
If you are applying via QTAC, you will need to check the QTAC closing dates.