Doctor of Professional Engineering
Take the engineering profession to the next level
Have a passion for engineering and want to further your knowledge? USQ’s Doctor of Professional Engineering is designed to expand your knowledge in technical investigation and innovative design and analysis, as well as take your research skills to a higher level.
Your studies will include 8 units of discipline-based coursework and research methodology studies, before embarking on 16 units of independent research in a specialised field of your choice, contributing to our future world.
Doctor of Professional Engineering or PhD?
The Doctor of Professional Engineering is for the engineering professional looking to upgrade their skills, knowledge and qualifications and to achieve a Doctoral qualification through a complementary combination of coursework and research project work.
How much will it cost?
Approximate annual costs1 for your first year of study (8 units) in this program are:
Loan to help you pay your fees
All Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents and New Zealand citizens commencing a Higher Degree by Research (HDR) program will have their tuition fees paid by the Australian Commonwealth Government under the Research Training Program (RTP) Fees Offset scheme. The RTP Fees Offset scheme covers program fees for an HDR student up to a maximum period of four years for full-time study or up to eight years part-time study for a Doctoral program, and up to a maximum period of two years for full-time or four years part-time for a Masters by Research program.
As part of the enrolment process, students are required to submit proof of citizenship or permanent residency status and transcripts of all previous academic study. This documentation enables the University of Southern Queensland to determine eligibility for an RTP Fees Offset place.
If a student's RTP Fees Offset entitlement expires before completion of the program, the student will be required to pay full tuition fees.
Students eligible for an RTP Fees Offset place are those who:
- have not used RTP Fees Offset funding in the previous three years; or
- have already used RTP Fees Offset funding and have successfully completed an HDR program. Once a student completes an HDR program, full entitlements of RTP Fees Offset are restored.
Scholarships and financial assistance
You may be able to apply for scholarships to help with your study costs.
- Australian university four-year Bachelor degree in the area of Engineering with a GPA of at least 5.0 or above, or equivalent.
- Be able to demonstrate, or be in a position to produce your own substantial, original professional contributions in an appropriate Engineering field.
English Language Requirements
You are required to satisfy the applicable English language requirements. This program requires a minimum of IELTS 6.5 or equivalent.
If you do not meet the English language requirements you may apply to study a University-approved English language program.
How to apply
Applying directly to USQ:
- Semester 2, 2018 – applications close Monday 2 July, with semester 2 commencing on Monday 16 July 2018.
- Semester 3, 2018 - applications close Monday 5 November, with semester 3 commencing on Monday 19 November 2018.
- Semester 1, 2019 - applications close Monday 18 February, with semester 1 commencing on Monday 25 February 2019.