Master of Data Science
- Semester 1 (February)
- Semester 2 (July)
- 16 units
- 2 year/s or part-time equivalent
Investigate Big Data to solve and interpret complex and real-life problems
USQ’s Master of Data Science provides an opportunity for graduates from all disciplines to gain useful knowledge in Big Data. Data Science helps organisations to extract new insights from raw data; insights which inform the development of new products, improved services and new businesses in our increasingly data reliant world.
Work independently and collaboratively to apply key ICT and data science technologies and programming skills to interpret major theories and critically investigate and solve contemporary core issues in a global market.
You will have the opportunity to decide between two different pathways of research in your masters degree:
- Research Project track — this pathway equips you with research skills and enables you to develop a research thesis in applied data science through an independent project in your chosen disciplinary application area.
- Research Training track — this pathway allows you to develop your research capability and gain specialised cognitive and technical including computational and information system skills to prepare for a professional career in science or your chosen disciplinary application area.
This degree provides a diverse range of career outcomes with opportunity to advance your profession into any big-data related field. As a graduate, you will become an efficient data scientist, utilising predictive analytics, big data management, big data analysis and modelling, to produce insights that make important, real-life decisions.
Data scientists are highly sought after, and the demand is set to increase as organisations, within technical, engineering, science, business, education and research sectors, require skilled employees to understand and interpret data to benefit business productivity. Careers may include:
- Data Scientist (with skills of analytics, research, innovation)
- Data Analyst (with skills of data management, data analysis, business analysis)
- Data Engineer (with skills of analytics, methods and tools, data analysis)
- Data Manager (with skills of data management, data analysis, problem management)
How much will it cost?
Approximate annual costs1 for your first year of study (8 units) in this program are:
|Domestic full fee paying||AUD 22320|
|Commonwealth supported||AUD 9520|
Loan to help you pay your fees
You may not have to pay your course (subject) fees upfront. HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP allows you to defer your fees until your income reaches a certain level.
You may also be eligible to receive financial support from Centrelink.
Scholarships and financial assistance
You may be able to apply for scholarships to help with your study costs.
- 3-year bachelor degree from an Australian university, or equivalent or
- a minimum of 5 years' equivalent professional work experience, as determined through the Credit and Exemption procedure.
English Language Requirements
You are required to satisfy the applicable English language requirements. This program requires a minimum of IELTS 6.0 or equivalent.
If you do not meet the English language requirements you may apply to study a University-approved English language program.
How to apply
Applying directly to USQ:
- Semester 1, 2020 - applications close Friday 6 March, with semester 1 commencing on Monday 24 February 2020.
- Semester 2, 2020 - applications close Friday 24 July, with semester 2 commencing on Monday 13 July 2020.