Master of Learning and Teaching (Primary)
- Semester 1 (February)
- Semester 2 (July)
- 16 units
- 2 year/s or part-time equivalent
Become a primary school teacher
USQ’s Master of Learning and Teaching (Primary) enables those with a Bachelor degree in a field other than education to become a primary school teacher, providing they meet all other entry requirements. You will gain an extensive understanding of primary school teaching in Queensland and advanced and comprehensive masters level degree will allow you to graduate with a high degree of employability.
There is an option to complete the degree full-time or part-time, on-campus or online. We also accept mid-year entry.
There are 60 days of supervised professional experience placements and 20 days of an unsupervised internship at a 50 percent teaching load in a primary school or other approved educational context. You will have the opportunity to undertake some of your professional experience overseas. There is also the opportunity to complete some of your practical experience in regional and Indigenous locations.
Graduates of the Master of Learning and Teaching (Primary) are eligible to apply to the Queensland College of Teachers for teacher registration.
In addition to completing all requirements for the degree, students need to pass the Literacy and Numeracy Test (LANTITE) prior to graduation. It's recommended that students pass the LANTITE before the successful completion of 8 courses. Please register for the LANTITE test through the Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER) website.
In addition to the courses listed below, you will also need to complete professional experience. These experiences provide you with opportunities to put theory into practice.
How much will it cost?
Approximate annual costs1 for international students' first year of study (8 units) in this program:
Scholarships and financial assistance
You may be able to apply for scholarships to help with your study costs.
This program includes a compulsory professional experience component that may involve travel, accommodation and meal expenses.
- 3-year bachelor degree or equivalent in a discipline other than education with a minimum GPA of 4.0 out of 7.0.
- Applicants for the Primary specialisation must demonstrate through their undergraduate degree or other equivalent studies, adequate knowledge of discipline studies related to the Australian Curriculum.
- All applicants must show how their prior studies meet specialisation requirements by submitting their transcript and other qualifications.
- Complete a questionnaire and provide written statements to address the key competencies of effective teachers. The criteria for selection includes capabilities such as motivation to teach, suitability for the teaching profession, learning activities and leadership responsibilities. Refer to the selection guidelines for initial teacher education courses.
English Language Requirements
You are required to satisfy the applicable English language requirements. This program requires a minimum of IELTS 7.5 or equivalent.
Pathway programs are also available if you don't meet the English entry requirements mentioned above.
How to apply
USQ accepts applications all year. Semester start dates are:
- Semester 1, 2020 - Monday 24 February 2020.
- Semester 2, 2020 - Monday 13 July 2020.