Master of Learning and Teaching (Secondary)
- Semester 1 (February)
- Semester 2 (July)
- 16 units
- 2 year/s or part-time equivalent
Be ready to teach in two years
Do you have a passion to teach and work with adolescents and young adult learners to shape their learning and education? If you have a Bachelor degree in a field other than education, the Master of Learning and Teaching (Secondary) will enable you to become a secondary school teacher, provided you meet all other entry requirements.
Within this program you will discover an in-depth understanding of secondary teaching in Queensland, with a masters level degree allowing you to graduate with a high level of employability.
Work with students in Years 7 to 12
A Master of Learning and Teaching (Secondary) will equip you with the teaching methods, knowledge and confidence to work, inspire and educate adolescents and young adults. You will be highly employable in the state, Catholic or private school sectors.
Want the skills you acquire training to be a teacher but not necessarily keen to be in the classroom? Teaching-related skills of communication and educational management are also in demand in careers such as sport and leisure centre management, personal training, life coaching and other professions in the human services.
Graduates of the Master of Learning and Teaching (Secondary) are eligible to apply to the Queensland College of Teachers for registration.
In addition to completing all requirements for the degree, students need to pass the Literacy and Numeracy Test (LANTITE) prior to graduation. It's recommended that students pass the LANTITE before the successful completion of 8 courses. Please register for the LANTITE test through the Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER) website.
As a graduate of the Master of Learning and Teaching you will be eligible for teacher registration. This presents many exciting opportunities of finding employment as a teacher throughout Queensland and the world.
In addition to the courses listed below, you will also need to complete professional experience. These experiences provide you with opportunities to put theory into practice.
How much will it cost?
Approximate annual costs1 for international students' first year of study (8 units) in this program:
Scholarships and financial assistance
You may be able to apply for scholarships to help with your study costs.
This program includes a compulsory professional experience component that may involve travel, accommodation and meal expenses.
- 3-year bachelor degree or equivalent in a discipline other than education with a minimum GPA of 4.0 out of 7.0.
- All applicants must supply a copy of their academic transcript to show how their previous study and qualifications satisfy the discipline study requirements for two (2) distinct teaching areas that are aligned to the subjects taught in secondary schools.
- Complete a questionnaire and provide written statements to address the key competencies of effective teachers. The criteria for selection includes capabilities such as motivation to teach, suitability for the teaching profession, learning activities and leadership responsibilities. Refer to the selection guidelines for initial teacher education courses.
English Language Requirements
You are required to satisfy the applicable English language requirements. This program requires a minimum of IELTS 7.5 or equivalent.
Pathway programs are also available if you don't meet the English entry requirements mentioned above.
How to apply
USQ accepts applications all year. Semester start dates are:
- Semester 1, 2020 - Monday 24 February 2020.
- Semester 2, 2020 - Monday 13 July 2020.