Master of Psychology (Clinical)
- CRICOS: 056705D
- Semester 1 (February)
- 16 units
- 2 years or part-time equivalent
Advance your skills
Do you want to advance your professional skills and specialise in Clinical Psychology? USQ Master of Psychology (Clinical) provides advanced training in psychological assessment and clinical intervention. This degree offers much of the coursework component in three two-day workshops, for each course, spread over the semester. With a focus on rural clinical health, this degree has been developed to meet the needs of Psychologists wishing to specialise in Clinical Psychology, while forging a pathway to the Master of Psychology/PhD (Clinical Psychology), for those students wanting to extend their research skills and careers.
Master vs combined Master/PhD?
Confused about the difference between a Masters and Doctoral degree in clinical psychology? Well, there is the obvious time difference (2 years vs 4 years), providing more time for a more advanced research project. Students completing the combined Master/PhD also complete a larger dissertation and have a greater capacity to undertake independent, critical research and practice. Not sure which path to take? Keep in mind that students can articulate from the Masters to the combined Master/Doctoral program.
Are you looking to achieve professional registration and full membership with the Australian Psychological Society (APS)? Graduates of the Master of Psychology (Clinical) can apply for:
- general registration with the Psychology Board of Australia
- clinical endorsement with the Psychology Board of Australia after a period of supervised practice
- full membership to the APS after graduation
- admission to the College of Clinical Psychology of the APS after a period of supervised practice.
A lot of students who study psychology use it as a stepping stone to other careers, however, graduates of this degree can work as a Clinical Psychologist after a period of supervised practice.
|Courses to be studied||Units|
It is a mandatory requirement for all Master of Psychology (Clinical) students to be registered as Provisional Psychologists with Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).
Orientation Semester 1, 2019: 12 February, 2019 at USQ Toowoomba campus.
Much of the coursework component of this program (8 of 16 units) involves three two-day workshops for each course spread over the semester.
Students can choose to complete their 3 practicum courses (PSY8130, PSY8140 and PSCY8150) in two of the following: Semester 1, Semester 2 or Semester 3.
You will be required to accrue a minimum of 1000 hours of practicum experience (ie, 400 face to face hours of clinical work), plus at least 180 hours of supervision from a registered psychologist who is a member of the Australian Psychological Society (APS) Clinical College.
Deferment is not available for this program.
How much will it cost?
Approximate annual costs1 for international students' first year of study (8 units) in this program:
Scholarships and financial assistance
You may be able to apply for scholarships to help with your study costs.
Applicants for admission must:
- have demonstrated achievement of a minimum of Second Class Honours Division A in an Australian Psychology Accreditation Council (APAC)-accredited 4-year honours program or equivalent
- provide two satisfactory referee reports1 and a report to address the Selection Criteria (PDF 23 KB) indicating your abilities to successfully undertake the professional and research components of the program
- be assessed in an interview with a panel of staff from the School of Psychology and Counselling, as having the interpersonal skills required for professional coursework
- have conditional registration or full registration from the Psychology Board of Australia.
1 The Australian Psychology Postgraduate Reference Request system is the same across all Australian universities. To be able to use the system, you will need to have an active subscription. The subscription allows you access the service during the 2017 – 2018 intake from 1 July 2017 to 30 June 2018. The cost is AUD25.00 and can be paid for through the "My Account" section in the payment tab.
1 The Australian Psychology Postgraduate Reference Request system is the same across all Australian universities. To be able to use the system, you will need to have an active subscription. The subscription allows you access the service during the 2018 – 2019 intake but will then expire on 31 July 2019. The cost is $25.00 and can be paid for through the "My Account" section in the payment tab.
English Language Requirements
You are required to satisfy the applicable English language requirements. This program requires a minimum of IELTS 7.0 or equivalent.
If you do not meet the English language requirements you may apply to study a University-approved English language program.
Pathway programs are also available if you don't meet the English entry requirements mentioned above.
How to apply
Apply directly to USQ:
- Semester 1, 2019 - Major round applications close Friday 26 October 2018, with first round interviews occurring in November. Top-up round of applications close Friday 4 January 2019, for second round interviews where quota has not been filled in the major round.
- Semester 1, 2020 - Applications close Friday 25 October 2019.