Before you leave home
We understand that moving to a new country and starting university involves a lot of planning. Here are a number of things that you can do before you leave home.
1. Book your flight to Australia
If you from arriving after the semester start date, you will require written approval from the University to commence your studies or you may need to defer your studies. Please contact USQ International before leaving your country, to confirm your offer will still be valid upon arrival.
2. Book your accommodation
It is important to arrange your accommodation before arriving in Australia. You can choose between our on-campus residential colleges or private, off-campus accommodation.
3. Register for free transport from the airport to USQ
Are you an international student getting ready to commence your first semester on-campus? Did you know that USQ provides free airport pick up services? We want to help make your journey from Brisbane International Airport, Brisbane Domestic Airport or Toowoomba Airport (Brisbane West Wellcamp) stress free. Simply complete the online booking form and ensure you submit the form at least 7 days before you arrive. It is important to ensure you include the flight itinerary and accommodation arrangement information so that we can process your request without delay.
4. Living in Australia and studying at USQ
Study in Australia has some great information about living in Australia, including working, transport, banking, living costs and ensuring you are compliant with your visa.
USQ Support Network
We are here to help you with each step. Take advantage of the support services available to you at USQ, so you can have the best study experience:
- Student Support - a range of services from career advice, counselling and health and medical services.
- Student Relationship Officers – from the moment you enrol you will have your own Student Relationship Officer (SRO) to answer all of your questions.
- Multicultural network- this network is made up of people from a range of cultural backgrounds and can help you with issues you may face while studying. USQ embraces multiculturalism and provides you with spiritual support appropriate to your needs.
- Ask USQ - as a student at USQ, you can also find answers and ask a question at Ask USQ 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
5. Get familiar with your orientation events
We aim to make your study journey easy and stress-free. The pre-orientation fact sheet (PDF 151KB) contains relevant information that may assist you settle into life at USQ and in Australia.
Topics covered include USQ location information and available student support, as well as details on renting accommodation in Australia, schooling, childcare, costs of living and Australian medical services.
Orientation is the best way to start your learning journey at USQ. You can find out all the information you will need to successfully navigate your way through your first few weeks and settle in to your studies. It is also a great opportunity to meet lots of new people and have some fun.
Check out the Online Orientation where you will find important information for the start of your learning journey, including:
- an introduction to university facilities
- advice on what support services are available to you
- hints and tips on how to succeed at your studies
- live chat where you can share your Orientation experience or just chat with other USQ students.