In 2019, USQ will offer one Felicity Purcell Nursing Bursary
Felicity Purcell was a nursing student at USQ, graduating with a Bachelor of Nursing in 1994. Well-trained and committed, she had a very successful career; first as a paediatric nurse in major public hospitals, and then in the broader medical field both here and overseas, particularly in the pharmaceutical industry where she was widely respected. Following the detection of the early symptoms of breast cancer, Felicity underwent the best medical treatment available, however, sadly, her breast cancer advanced, and she died at 33 years of age in 2008.
This bursary promotes the very best traditions of nursing’s ethos of care for others, as embodied by Felicity Purcell. Specifically, it provides financial assistance to a nursing student who, like Felicity, comes from a rural or remote background.
The bursary will have a maximum value of $2500.
- be an Australian citizen or have permanent resident status
- be from a rural or remote area within Queensland
- be commencing or continuing their studies in a Bachelor of Nursing in Semester 1 2019
- be enrolled in a minimum of 3 study units in Semester 1
- be studying on-campus, external or online.
- submit a personal statement (one page maximum) outlining:
- your desire and strong interest to practise nursing in regional and remote Queensland
- provide evidence of academic achievement, e.g. high school report card or post-secondary academic history (transcript of results), as applicable
- provide evidence to show you have a permanent address in, or have relocated to study from a rural or remote area (outer regional, remote or very remote according to the Australian Standard Geographic Classification (ASGC) - refer Doctor Connect map)
- provide evidence of financial hardship as directed in the Application Form.
Applications close at 5pm Friday 26 October 2018.
University of Southern Queensland
Phone: 1800 269 500
USQ reserves the right to alter the conditions of the scholarship/bursary based upon exceptional circumstances. USQ reserves the right to not award the scholarship/bursary in a given year.