Master of Science (Applied Data Science)
Data Science skills in high demand
Strengthen your career with USQ’s Master of Science (Applied Data Science) in the progressive field of Data Science aka ‘Big Data’. Large organisations have always been data-driven. What has changed dramatically is the sheer amount of raw data now generated. Data Science focuses on understanding and overcoming the challenges associated with collecting, analysing, interpreting and visualising large amounts of data. Data Science helps organisations extract new insights from raw data; insights which inform the development of new products and new businesses in our increasingly data reliant world.
Why study Data Science at USQ?
In this unique masters degree, you will be able to incorporate four courses from a chosen discipline and work on a discipline-based research project to complement your big data technology training. The structure is unique, preparing you with application based big data analytical skills, which are highly sought by employers. You will have the opportunity to decide between two different pathways of study in your masters degree:
- Research track — the Research track equips you with research skills and allows you to develop a research thesis through a project in your chosen disciplinary application area.
- Professional Studies track — the Professional Studies track allows you to develop your research capability and prepare for a professional career through industry work experience.
Upon successful completion of the Master of Science (Applied Data Science), students have the opportunity to move into PhD study.
Data scientists are highly sought after, and the data scientist career path is projected to increase further as organisations collect more information, but do not have people with the necessary skills to make sense of it all. This Masters provides an ideal professional development opportunity for qualified graduates who wish to advance in their existing career or begin a new one in the area of Big Data.
How much will it cost?
Approximate annual costs1 for your first year of study (8 units) in this program are:
|Commonwealth supported||AUD 9352|
|Domestic full fee paying||AUD 23675|
Loan to help you pay your fees
You may not have to pay your course (subject) fees upfront. HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP allows you to defer your fees until your income reaches a certain level.
You may also be eligible to receive financial support from Centrelink.
Scholarships and financial assistance
You may be able to apply for scholarships to help with your study costs.
- 3-year bachelor degree or equivalent qualification from an Australian recognized university
- knowledge and ethics of computing consistent with CIS1000 Information Systems Concepts.
English Language Requirements
You are required to satisfy the applicable English language requirements. This program requires a minimum of IELTS 6.5 or equivalent.
If you do not meet the English language requirements you may apply to study a University-approved English language program.
How to apply
To apply for this degree:
Applying directly to USQ:
- Semester 1, 2019 - applications close Monday 18 February, with semester 1 commencing on Monday 25 February 2019.
- Semester 2, 2019 - applications close Monday 1 July, with semester 2 commencing on Monday 15 July 2019.