Bachelor of Science (Animal Science)
Explore the science that underpins the management of animals
Study key aspects of livestock health, product quality, farm safety, and animal welfare to ensure humane and sustainable food production. You will examine emerging technologies in animal breeding programs, and learn to apply cognitive and technical skills in the area of genetics.
Combine with a second major, such as Biology, Plant Agricultural Science, or Environment and Sustainability, to create a well-rounded agriculture degree and broaden your employment potential.
USQ has strategic partnerships in the Australian and international agriculture industry with multi-national agribusinesses and leading agencies including John Deere, the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries, and the Department of Environment and Science.
If you are enrolled in the External study mode in this degree, you will have the opportunity to come on-campus for residential schools, where you will attend face-to-face lectures and tutorials, use the facilities and meet staff and other students.
How much will it cost?
Approximate annual costs1 for your first year of study (8 units) in this program are:
|Commonwealth supported||AUD 9527|
|Domestic full fee paying||AUD 22400|
Loan to help you pay your fees
You may not have to pay your course (subject) fees upfront. HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP allows you to defer your fees until your income reaches a certain level.
You may also be eligible to receive financial support from Centrelink.
Scholarships and financial assistance
You may be able to apply for scholarships to help with your study costs.
This program includes an on-campus residential school component that involves travel, accommodation and meal expenses.
Entry requirements for Semester 1, 2020
- Subject pre-requisite: Mathematics A (4, SA) or equivalent.
To study this degree we also assume you have sound knowledge in:
We assume that your knowledge is equivalent to four semesters at high school level (Years 11 and 12) with sound achievement (4, SA).
English Language Requirements
You are required to satisfy the applicable English language requirements. This program requires a minimum of IELTS 6.0 or equivalent.
If you do not meet the English language requirements you may apply to study a University-approved English language program.
A number of other pathways are also available if you haven't been able to study previously or don't meet the requirements for entry into your program of interest.
How to apply
- Apply via QTAC (Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre) if you:
- have never studied with USQ before, or
- are a Year 12 student, or
- want to transfer to USQ from another university.
Please note down the QTAC codes below to complete your application.
- Alternatively, you may be able to apply directly to USQ if you:
- are a current or previous USQ student returning to study with complete or incomplete qualifications (excluding Head Start students), or
- have recently graduated from TAFE.
Applying directly to USQ:
- Semester 1, 2020 - applications close Friday 6 March, with semester 1 commencing on Monday 24 February 2020.
- Semester 2, 2020 - applications close Friday 17 July (QTAC) and 24 July (direct), with semester 2 commencing on Monday 13 July 2020.
- Semester 3, 2020 - applications close Friday 20 November, with semester 3 commencing on Monday 16 November 2020.
If you are applying via QTAC, you will need to check the QTAC closing dates.