Master of Professional Studies (Research)
Expand your professional practice with research
Are you a professional wanting to expand you knowledge and impact in the workplace with research? The Master of Professional Studies (Research) is specifically designed for professionals to develop their research skills and gain a postgraduate qualification while working in your current place of employment.
Your research will develop your ability for analytical, critical and creative thinking in workplace applications and your initiative and creativity will be encouraged to engage in issues relevant and meaningful to your professional practice and own experience in workplace challenges.
It is expected your research will be able to be used to improve one or more aspects of your workplace.
How much will it cost?
Approximate annual costs1 for your first year of study (8 units) in this program are:
|Domestic full fee paying||AUD 22800|
Assistance available to pay your fees
All Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents and New Zealand citizens commencing a Higher Degree by Research (HDR) program will have their tuition fees paid by the Australian Commonwealth Government under the Research Training Program (RTP) Fees Offset scheme. The RTP Fees Offset scheme covers program fees for an HDR student up to a maximum period of four years for full-time study or up to eight years part-time study for a Doctoral program, and up to a maximum period of two years for full-time or four years part-time for a Masters by Research program.
As part of the enrolment process, students are required to submit proof of citizenship or permanent residency status and transcripts of all previous academic study. This documentation enables the University of Southern Queensland to determine eligibility for an RTP Fees Offset place.
If a student's RTP Fees Offset entitlement expires before completion of the program, the student will be required to pay full tuition fees.
Students eligible for an RTP Fees Offset place are those who:
- have not used RTP Fees Offset funding in the previous three years; or
- have already used RTP Fees Offset funding and have successfully completed an HDR program. Once a student completes an HDR program, full entitlements of RTP Fees Offset are restored.
You may not have to pay your course (subject) fees upfront. FEE-HELP allows you to defer your fees until your income reaches a certain level.
You may also be eligible to receive financial support from Centrelink.
Scholarships and financial assistance
You may be able to apply for scholarships to help with your study costs.
- Admission is by online application and interview
- 3-year bachelor degree from an Australian University or equivalent plus at least 5 years experience in their field
Applicants with a bachelor degree with honours, or a masters degree, may consider applying for admission to the Doctor of Professional Studies program.
English Language Requirements
You are required to satisfy the applicable English language requirements. This program requires a minimum of IELTS 6.5 or equivalent.
If you do not meet the English language requirements you may apply to study a University-approved English language program.
How to apply
Applying directly to USQ:
- Semester 1, 2020 - applications close Friday 6 March, with semester 1 commencing on Monday 24 February 2020.
- Semester 2, 2020 - applications close Friday 24 July, with semester 2 commencing on Monday 13 July 2020.
- Semester 3, 2020 - applications close Friday 20 November, with semester 3 commencing on Monday 16 November 2020.